• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front bumper

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Now that I finished my rear bumper (tire carrier to continue) I want to make the front bumper!

I went to IMS (ind Meta Supply) and got light tabs, gussets and 10 lbs of e7014 3/32 rod, also 5 more grinder cutting wheels.

central to the design will be a 2 x 6 x 3/16's rectangular tube.

please post any pictures of something similar! I would like to get my creative juices flowing!

as a reference I leave you with my rear bumper!!;D;D;D

Attachments

• IMG_5530.jpg
    IMG_5530.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 247
OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I am leaning towards a 2x4 on the front, not the same as the rear 2x6, but I will add a skid plate on the bottom and a hoop for protecting my lights on the top. also the rear is intended to tow!:cool::cool::cool:

Attachments

• frb.jpg
    frb.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
wow, 115 views and NO comments! amazing!

I measured the front and have decided to go with 2x6 after all. I will go buy the material in the am, and as my body recovers from the weekend, I will start the creation!

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
Are you planning for a winch mount on the front? That will really set the style for the rest of the bumper.

I have Warn 8274 and used the 2x4 extensions to the frame rails, a piece of 3/16" plate and an vertical mount from Warn mounted to the plate. I angled back some 2x4 pieces off the frame extensions. I still need to add a lower piece to protect the bottom of the radiator. Its kind of massive but it works.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
G, I don't think your shackles are gonna hold real well. Seriously though, nice job.

jajaja, thanks, I tried duper glue but no luck.

in all seriousness, I ran out of drill bits, I got 3 new ones today. for the front I am going to ask the metal place if they can drill them for me. a real PITA, I am afraid to kill my drill, wish I had a drill press!

Thanks for the kudos.:cool::cool:

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Are you planning for a winch mount on the front? That will really set the style for the rest of the bumper.

I have Warn 8274 and used the 2x4 extensions to the frame rails, a piece of 3/16" plate and an vertical mount from Warn mounted to the plate. I angled back some 2x4 pieces off the frame extensions. I still need to add a lower piece to protect the bottom of the radiator. Its kind of massive but it works.

no winch plans, all I do is desert wheeling and Tijuana pot holes! no need around here. :cool:

bsquared

Contributor
Can't help with the front bumper, but the attached might give some ideas for the tire carrier. If you have AutoCAD, you'll be able to do much better than I did with PowerPoint. (my AutoCAD seminar starts in Aug) I followed a design posted here by Mark.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143886&page=7

Attachments

• SwingFull.jpg
    SwingFull.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 137
  • SwingFinished.jpg
    SwingFinished.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 107
  • SwingCatchLatches.jpg
    SwingCatchLatches.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 103
  • BumperStrikeArea.jpg
    BumperStrikeArea.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Bumper6.jpg
    Bumper6.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Bumper5.jpg
    Bumper5.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 110
  • TireRack2.jpg
    TireRack2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 89

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Can't help with the front bumper, but the attached might give some ideas for the tire carrier. If you have AutoCAD, you'll be able to do much better than I did with PowerPoint. (my AutoCAD seminar starts in Aug) I followed a design posted here by Mark.

Love the Bronco license plate you must have owned that thing (or another one) for quite a while to score that custom tag.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your rear bumper turned out nice. I used the 2x6 for my front bumper but it's made for a winch so may not be what you're looking for.

Attachments

• 2012-02-29_08-39-43_129.jpg
    2012-02-29_08-39-43_129.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
thanks!!!!

LOOKS AWESOME, THANKS, I will definitely borrow from your design. is that a front spindle of some kind?? I like the bearing idea!!:cool::cool:

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Wow

You rear bumper turned out nice. I used the 2x6 for my front bumper but it's made for a winch so may not be what you're looking for.

that looks beefy, I like it!

I bought the 2x6 tube and had them punch the 2 gusset holes on the 1x2 bar. I also bought a 2'x2' of 3/16 plate to make a skid plate!

I will borrow some from you design definitely.
;D;D

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Autocad

BTW, I Am and Autodesk certified instructor of both Autocad and Inventor! I worked for a reseller for 5 years and got certified as an "Expert" on both and Data management!

my creative artistic side comes out when I work on my Bronco! I had to make the bumpers simply as a conversational starter and for bragging rights! I like the idea of building not buying! JMHO

Let me know if you need any help on Autocad, I recommend you skip it and go directly to Inventor for mechanical design.

Larry B

Loc.
Medford

This is 1/4 plate. maby a little over kill. Built to pull the wench and plug into the rear trailer receiver.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I used 2x6 1/4 wall for my bumpers I slotted the rear face to match the frame ends I inserted a compression tube inside the bumper tube and plug welded that to the inside of the bumper I force the bumper onto the frame ends and put a bolt all the way through the bumper through the frame horn through the compression tube then through the lower frame end and then through the bottom of the bumper under that is a tow hook then the nut. The back hole of the tow hook gets a bolt through the frame further back.
This is purposely heavy to resist a smack at the outer ends and not fold. I guess it also offsets the raised center of gravity of my full roll cage.