• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door hinge backer plates ?

3.8SC Bronco

Loc.
Elkhart
Started tearing my 71 down this week and all was going well until I took off the pass. door, the lower hinge backer plate fell. What holds them in place and how do I get to the one that fell ?

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
cut open the door post from the back side to retrieve it and repair it. a bit of sheetmetal "cagework" holds it in place.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
I did this once. if you can get the plate to move up high enough use a long sheet metal screw from the back side to push the plate. good luck.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see your from elkhart, is this bronco at dans body shop on US 33. If so I would like to come over and see it.
Thanks
Mike

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Just a tip when taking the hinges loose. Cut three pieces of all thread rod and screw back into holes. Hinge will slide off without loosing the plate and will slide back on when replacing. Remove all thread and replace with one bolt at a time.

OP
OP
3.8SC Bronco

3.8SC Bronco

Loc.
Elkhart
Thanks for the info Nicks, I'll have to cut the post to get the plate out. Maybe I should ask ? before I do anything else Shamu or Explorer's idea would have saved me a patch job. Frenchy I'm Dennis with the red 71 that stopped by your house a couple weeks ago,decided to do a frame off but keep it stock for now.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Quess I'm gonna have to write that down so I don't forget:-[ Well then we have another new one around, we'll have to go check it out!!:) Good luck with your resto you have a fine one to start with I think.

frenchy

hmh800

You may be able to avoid cutting the backside of the hinge post if you have one of those magnet on a stick things. With mine I can reach down and grab it, pull it up and hold on with a piece of all-thread.

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
If you buff the door post before you cut it, you might see the spot welds where the shelf used to be attached for holding the plates from falling. Might not do you any good since it already fell, but if you need to go into the others for any reason, it will get you on the right side. Useless tip of the day....