• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb spacer?

JTex_4

I’ve got a 74 ranger with 302 and not sure of the Motorcraft carb.. either the 2100 or 2150. The spacer is junked so I’m looking for another stock spacer.. are these things impossible to find? I’d think I could find one that someone has replaced with new carb/intake. Out of the ones I’ve seen on eBay etc. they don’t exactly look like mine. Anybody know where I could find one??

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
How about a pic of what you have. They are being reproduced so any of the Classic Mustang supply houses should have them. Used would be much cheaper though.

512cadillac

carb spacer

A 74 probably has a provision for an EGR. I have several of the older non EGT carb spacers if you can go that route. Shoot me a PM if you want to see about the early style spacer. John

KeithKinPhx

I have an old EGR off of my 68 with a 289 somewhere I n a box. Aluminum if I recall. Let me know if you need me to dig it up.

Live in AZ, no need for the California emissions junk it came with. ;)

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
Are you having vacuum leak issues, if so I just went through the same issue. I took the vacuum canisters off the back of the spacer and made a plate to cover the holes. Used the original bolts to hold the plate. Sealed it up with a gasket i made from a sheet of gasket material. If you can find any of the ford cars from that year I think a lot of them used the same spacer.

OP
OP
JTex_4

JTex_4

No vacuum leaks that I know of but am in the very early stages of getting one running that had been sitting for quite a while.. I can’t get pics to upload.. I need to pay my 12$ in order to post pics from what I hear. I’ve got the carb cleaned and ready to go back on but just need a spacer.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 12 buck contributor fee will let you post images directly from your computer or phone JTex. But you can still do it free of charge with an online hosting site like SuperMotors and upload the pics there, then link them to the forum.

I prefer the ease and consistency of being a contributor myself (and it doesn't hurt Jon keeping us up and running, mechanically speaking), but there are many that work with other sites linked to us here pretty successfully.

Paul

NC_Pinz

Original ones were aluminum. Replacements back in the day were cast iron. Exhaust running through the AL spacers will eventually cause them to leak.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I have this setup sitting on a shelf, came off a '69 302, looks like 2? spacers, not sure if they have ports, I've got no use for them -Jeff

Attachments

• 302manifold.jpg
    302manifold.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 113

KeithKinPhx

Found mine in a box of left over parts from when I went to a 4 bl back in 1995. No I'm not a hoarder. Did I mention I moved to 4 different states during that time and moved it each time?

The aluminum is stamped 289 and top near the nipple. Ironically it is stamped with 2 bl underneath which if you can't figure that out you probably should not be working on engines.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 43

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
What you all are missing is he needs an EGR spacer . Anything pre- '73 I think does not have the EGR valve & are not interchangable . Carb is different & so is the spacer . Use an early spacer as pictured & you get a massive air leak .

KeithKinPhx

There is a vacuum activated switch assembly that goes with the spacer pictures. Was not aware that were looking for those too. My 68 was a California DSO and had emissions "stuff". I bought it in Las Vegas and promptly removed all of it.

OP
OP
JTex_4

JTex_4

Thanks guys, I think I have found one. Just gotta get my hands on it before I say the search is over.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I still have the EGR type spacer off of my 77 around here somewhere. If it will work for you it's yours.

OP
OP
JTex_4

JTex_4

Hopefully these pics post now.. I still don’t have one in hand but this is what I’m looking for..

Attachments

• 36F46679-49E9-46B1-AF5F-529F8A7DC08C.jpg
    36F46679-49E9-46B1-AF5F-529F8A7DC08C.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 19297D71-4476-44ED-8BAF-E9815A5431C1.jpg
    19297D71-4476-44ED-8BAF-E9815A5431C1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 67

KeithKinPhx

Fun little factoid. In AZ if you have classic car insurance on any vehicle (limited mileage policy) you don't have to pass emission tests.

Would never put that on my Bronco.

OP
OP
JTex_4

JTex_4

So if I wanted to go without the spacer.. how do I go about that and what do I need to know?? What would I do with the vacuum line that goes to pcv valve?? From what I understand, I need some type of spacer to keep the carb off the intake to keep it from boiling /evaporating the fuel in the carb?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are plenty of carburetors that are bolted directly to the intake that don't have issues with boiling the fuel. So I don't think that's the primary concern here.
But there are also double-thick gaskets with insulators sandwiched in-between that can be substituted to a certain extent.

The primary concerns are gasket surface matching, and gasket surface matching!;D
I bet there are plenty of carbs out there that no longer, or perhaps never did, match the mating surface on the intake.
With several different Ford style carburetor gaskets to choose from, it's possible that one of them might be a good match to both the carb and the intake surface.

You can probably drill and tap your own hole for a PCV fitting I would think. Some manifolds might not lend themselves as well to that, but I think most have some way or another to access the common plenum area.
Then again, with an intake that's got two or four discrete holes, the spacer was the manufacturer's answer to a common plenum.
It could still be done with just the intake, but it would require some special creativity with some.

Maybe one of the semi-common 2bbl aftermarket spacers made for performance applications might make a good "adapter" and fit between. Then you'd have an easier part to modify to pull vacuum from.

Trans Dapt 2134 and 2135 open spacers could work maybe? https://www.summitracing.com/search...t&sortorder=Ascending&N=4294916476+4294863980
Not sure what the diff is. Didn't read the details.
But check some of them out and see if they are compatible with your intake and carb. The wide surface flange area makes compatibility more likely.

Paul