• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Graveyard Poly Tank...Yikes

ddm156

Just recently bought the tank to replace my stock one...13gal is all I'm interested in for now, just plan to wheel it around town on the weekends. I go to mount the thing, and I believe its just a bit smaller, at least in width, cause I cant get the thing to align on the brackets very well...if the top of the tank is pressing on the brackets on the driver side well, then its barely on the pass. side brackets at all, follow me? the strap will work alright, although the poly tank doesnt have the two channels for it to rest in like the stock metal one. Anybody cross this bridge, and able to offer a simple solution?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Sebd it back for the same money get a metal one from Toms or one of the others ...We just put one in running buddys 1966 it fit just find and was 23
gal..I expected it to hang lower but not we took it hunting in New Mexico this year and it wasn't scraped once .....

Airborne69

Loc.
Moorpark, CA
i have the same tank and i am not even using straps. The custom skid plate which the p.o made holds it up. I just put a few beads of silicone on the skid plate to keep the tank from rubbing on any dirt that gets between it. The fit is really tight and it doesnt rattle (or wiggle) at all.
And when you install it be sure to put the hoses on the tank first. Its alot easier.

OP
OP
ddm156

ddm156

im trying to run without a skid plate...ill figure something out to hold it up, just thought somebody ran into the exact same thing...cant see how it can be avoided with this particular tank.

hillbilly delux

Loc.
West Point, MS
i recommend sending the tank back..............i've had nothing but trouble out of my poly tanks. Both leaked and they were fully assembled by Toms bronco parts. It took modifying the washers and using some gasket sealer to finally stop the leaking. I wanted to send them back but it was going to cost me a 20% restocking fee............. screw that. Fixed em myself

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I have a Duff rear poly and it is fine in the stock straps. I put new rubber on the straps for insulation and I had to play with the rubber o-ring to get it to seal right but that was an easy day. I also have a duff efi aux tank and it is nice too.

hc37180

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Need Help Installing Rear Poly Tank from JBG.

I realize this is an older thread however I came across it today because I am having the same problem installing the rear poly tank from JBG.

Added photos http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg191/hc37180/74%20Bronco/MTS%20Rear%20Poly%20Tank%20Install/

Basically the tank is not fitting into the area if the the two brackets towards the rear of the frame rails are bolted in. If I remove them the tank will sit high enough. The two brackets toward the front of the tank (curved ones) do not seem to present an issue. It seems also that the tank does not level off properly and therefore some pressure is being put on the filler neck because it sits on the frame and angles slightly up in the direction of the filler tube. Either way, brackets removed or not the rear part of the tank sits on the edge of the metal lip that comes down just to the front of the tailgate. I am guessing this wouldn't be a good scenario with a plastic tank and the wear and friction that could occur by being in constant contact with that metal lip.

What is happening are two things I believe:

1. the poly tank does not have the two dimples on the top to give some extra clearance for the brackets that house the bolting point for the rear seat.
2. The rear of the tank angles to a point and although I have not gotten out any instrument to compare the angles between my old stock metal tank and the new poly tank, the top lip that angles down seem to be a wider angle and therefore the slope is less.

Anyone else hear of these issues. My body lift is stock so I am guessing if a person had a thicker body lift this wouldn't be an issue. Any suggestions would be great. I do not have the budget to go with the larger tanks so please do not suggest that as a fix. I am trying to get this resolved without exchanging over to a metal tank. I am calling JBG later today to ask them but thought I would see if there is a solution that doesn't involve sending tanks back and ordering a new one.

Last edited:

pa69broncoguy

I had to make a new rear mount , i was not happy with the fit. The stock rear mounts just barely touched the tank on mine. I made one that crossed from framerail to framerail. I also had to make new bolts that hold up the bottom strap.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My brother has the poly tank in his and a few weeks ago while on a trail ride the tank almost fell out completely. The fill hose was the only thing holding it up. There is nothing to hold the strap in the center on the poly tank.:eek:

hc37180

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I have a good plastic tank, newer sender, and new skid plate that holds it secure for sale if interested.

Thanks but I have all of those parts. I am trying to see if others had clearance issues installing the rear poly tank made by MTS.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't seen their listing, but are you guys sure it's not a replacement for the 77 tanks?
That would certainly explain why it wouldn't fit, but I'm just guessing.

If it's meant to slip into any EB, but you have to come up with your own brackets, then fine. But if it's a '77 specific thing, then I'm surprised that even the straps fit. The '77 was actually held in by the bolted-on skid pan, instead of the earlier strap style mount with "feet" up in the corners of the frame.
Does the filler neck match the size of your hoses, or is it larger?

I should have probably gone to look at their listing before adding my 2 cents, but the model year issue is the first thing that popped into my head, so I wanted to let it out. ;D

Paul

hc37180

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I haven't seen their listing, but are you guys sure it's not a replacement for the 77 tanks?
That would certainly explain why it wouldn't fit, but I'm just guessing.

If it's meant to slip into any EB, but you have to come up with your own brackets, then fine. But if it's a '77 specific thing, then I'm surprised that even the straps fit. The '77 was actually held in by the bolted-on skid pan, instead of the earlier strap style mount with "feet" up in the corners of the frame.
Does the filler neck match the size of your hoses, or is it larger?

I should have probably gone to look at their listing before adding my 2 cents, but the model year issue is the first thing that popped into my head, so I wanted to let it out. ;D

Paul

The ad advertises 71-76 http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-10201-gas-tank-rear-plastic-reproduction.html. I can get the strap around it fine but only if I remove the rear to brackets. But then the tank is making contact with the rear sheet metal lip. Everything seems to be the same measurements and the filler necks do line up. There was no mention in the ad listing nor did they mention anything when I ordered the tank over the phone to JBG. Calling them today so I will post what I find out.

justjeff51

Loc.
Metropolis
I recieved on of these tanks for the owner of the Bronco I bought a few years back. I had the same fit issues you seam to be having. I cut some pieces of rubber to shim it up with in the brackets and also to give the metal strap something to rub on besides dirrect contact with the tank. The tank has worked fine but I still do not like the fit. It was free with the Bronco so I never complained.... I will go with the 23gal metal next.

Jeff

hc37180

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Issue Cleared Up....Hopefully!

I spoke with JBG today, they said they could recall one other customer that had this issue with their tank. It was resolved with replacing the body mount bushings. We compared clearances between my rig and one at JBG with newer bushings and the difference was 3/4". So new body mounts. This seems reasonable as to the filler neck clearing the frame rail completely. Happy with the help from JBG, not happy with the hiccup in the road......like the Army hurry up and wait!!!!!