• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to install a Gas Pedal Spring?

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I searched the forum and my manuals but can’t find a good diagram to show me how to put the gas pedal spring on.
There is a small diagram in Tom's Bronco parts catalog but it is not clear enough for me.

Anyone have a picture of the gas pedal spring installed?

It is the small z shaped spring that holds the gas pedal in place on the rod.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
After several frustrating attempts I got it on and I am 99% sure it is in the right spot.

What got me was a little tab on the back of the pedal that I thought the spring was using.

If anyone needs a pic I will post one.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
If I read this right, The spring does not go on the pedal. Its installed up by the carb. It hooks to the carb linkage and top of the intake. Usually to a bracket.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks Jeepster.
There is a spring that goes behind the gas pedal to keep it upright so it does not flap around. It holds on to the pedal rod and springs the pedal forward.

I am sure I got it on right.

Thanks

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I also searched for an install guide for the pedal spring with no luck, it just snapped on back of the pedal, I know it works because the pedal returns when I let go off the gas, made a big difference, I did not like the "flat" pedal feeling.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
After seeing what the aftermarket or stock had available, I decided to make my own bracket to fit my needs.
I used a 5/16" pushrod from an old engine and welded up a bracket.

Attachments

• DSC06140.jpg
    DSC06140.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC06141.jpg
    DSC06141.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 38

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
here ya go. this might help someone down the road as well.

Attachments

• DSC02209.jpg
    DSC02209.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 87

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
sure thing tito. those springs are tough to find if you misplace yours. i scavange them when i'm at the upull yard. for some reason you get a truck every now and then that is missing it. the pedal feels wierd without it imop.
i've found a few different styles at the yard. they all do the same thing..

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i found they carried them also later on. still 8 bucks apiece for the little guy.
another reason why it pays to keep track of your parts when you take things apart...

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks Nick!
The one from Toms is not exactly like the original but it works in the same spot.
Now I know what that little tab was for.