• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bending diamond plate

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I am making a tunnel cover. I need to know how to bend a nice sharp line. I was thinking to score it on the back side. Heat it up. Then use the edge of a 2x4 to bend against. any other ideas?

T

teknalee

damn.. aluminum huh... i'd be afraid of it cracking.. lots of heat and some slow bending over an angled peice of wood

72eb69rich

Loc.
San Jose,Ca.
I would check out the "Eastwood Company" website/catalog. They have a nice array of specialty tools for custom fabricating. I've seen a tool just for bending sheet metal in there that maybe, (MAYBE!) used to bend diamond plate. I would also be careful about the cracking issue as stated above.

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
This can get ugly real quick using heat to bend aluminum, :eek: you may end up with a huge hole blown right through it. lay it out and mark your pieces and take them to someone with a metal break and have them bend them for you, should only cost a couple of buck and end up with nice straight bends. ;)

OP
OP
TexasBronco

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
[quote author=77TexasBronc link=board=5;threadid=19154;start=0#msg147538 date=1056563510]
This can get ugly real quick using heat to bend aluminum, :eek: you may end up with a huge hole blown right through it. lay it out and mark your pieces and take them to someone with a metal break and have them bend them for you, should only cost a couple of buck and end up with nice straight bends. ;)

[/quote]

Yeah I am thinking about invading Toby's Garage (the winner of Top Trucks) he has a sheet metal bender, and he could help my weld my roll bar...and all the other stuff we can do to get my bronco set to hit the trails.

Wildturkey

BANNED
Loc.
Coker, Alabama
What ever you do dont heat aluminum and try to bend it.Find someone with a really good sheetmetal brake and bend it backwards.Pressure on the smooth side not the diamond plate.You can get a 90degree bend but dont try to go much futher it will break.

jackteri1

Loc.
Yucca Valley, Ca
I did a lot of DP on my bronco and was able to do the short peices by scoring them, and then put them in a vise between two piecs of angel iron, and bend them. For larger pieces, you are better off taking it some place where they have a break, and let them do it. I have pics of my bronco on page 45, 4th one down. Have fun.
I bent all of mine except for the dash.