• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oversized main tank options

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
so i know i can get one at BC, toms etc. but they are almost 400$ no way we can spend that much. took out the plastic aux tank this weekend for a cleaning and found a large crack in it. so i would like to get rid of it and replace the main tank with a larger capacity one. is there something from another vehicle that will fit and give me in the 20 gallon range? or an i stuck looking for a used over sized tank? how about making one???

any other ideas?

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Call up Aero Tanks in Corona CA. Their prices are better than the major vendors although the tanks are not as nice looking. I like mine, a lot. I really like the following features:
1. Rolled corners - meaning no welds on the corners.
2. Integrated skid plate welded over the tank.
3. They can set the mounts to any amount of body lift you may be running or sell you the tank with the mounts loose.

Mine bolted right in and holds 23 gallons of fuel. The fit is good and I doubt I'll ever hurt that tank.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Most of the bronco venders carry aftermarket tanks, but you are going to pay a bit for them, i bit the bullet and got a 23main and 12 resurve and will do it again. worth every penny... I go wheeling on the 12 and get lost and find my way out and home on the 24.

73ny

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New York
Call up Aero Tanks in Corona CA. Their prices are better than the major vendors although the tanks are not as nice looking. I like mine, a lot. I really like the following features:
1. Rolled corners - meaning no welds on the corners.
2. Integrated skid plate welded over the tank.
3. They can set the mounts to any amount of body lift you may be running or sell you the tank with the mounts loose.

Mine bolted right in and holds 23 gallons of fuel. The fit is good and I doubt I'll ever hurt that tank.

How much?

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Between the $312 for the Aero and the $400 for the BC, I would gladly pay the extra $80 for the BC, even if it meant Ramen and water for a couple weeks.

BC tank mounting system is far superior to the Aero system, and it is already set up for EFI. So sturdy, a skid plate is probably only needed for extreme rock crawling.

I run a BC that I bought a while ago, and I have an Aero type tank on another truck, so I have seen both.

BC all the way.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
so i know i can get one at BC, toms etc. but they are almost 400$ no way we can spend that much. took out the plastic aux tank this weekend for a cleaning and found a large crack in it. so i would like to get rid of it and replace the main tank with a larger capacity one. is there something from another vehicle that will fit and give me in the 20 gallon range? or an i stuck looking for a used over sized tank? how about making one???

any other ideas?

I have never found one. I have scrounged all kinds of sources too. The trouble is the Bronco frame is a little narrower then most anything else out there. And the space between the axle and the bumper is a little limiting as well. So the envelope you have to work with is very confining. There really isn't anyplace else to stick a gas tank (in the 20 gallon range) either.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have a set of Aero tanks I put in almost 30 years ago. I didn't buy the skid plate option and have still picked up the back of the car with a floor jack inder the rear tank. They are real well made! To me the main difference in all the aftermarket tanks is the mounting method. Some use straps like the factory tanks. The ones with welded on mounting brackets are much more secure and don't mash the tank against the rear bed.

wdbowers

Loc.
Ada, Ok
its been a while, but we used to look for vw tanks to put in circle dirt race cars that probably fit. I don't remember how big they are an i had forgot about them till this thread.

wdbowers

Loc.
Ada, Ok
checked a few online and recalled that I used the tank out of the 67 mustang that I built they show to be 16 gal. but no diminsions on width and they fill from center rear.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I guess I don't understand why people don't like Aero's mounting system... It bolts directly to the frame. To me that is an extremely secure way to go. The way the mounts were set on mine, the tank still clears the floor of my EB by a good enough margin (1/2 inch or so) and I would have no problem putting the floor jack under it to lift the vehicle. The skid plate to me was just extra protection because I do plan to do some rock crawling. My local club organized a group buy with Aero which brought the price down from what was listed above in this thread which is another big reason I went that way.

No complaints on my Aero tank!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wow $183.00 is sure better than some of the other prices ..Wonder what it cost to ship on to Texas. What Is that tank make out of ..
.......edit did I miss read the sight I thought it said tank was 183.00

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluebronco69

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
so how much is the BR-21 300$ or 180$? i can do the 180 not the 300 though. im looking for an option that is not too spendy, but still good quality and atleast 20 gallons

nevermind the tank is 312 labor for install is 180