• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

map gas vs oxy-acetylene

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I am piecing together an oxy-acetylene torch but I don't have the tanks yet.

I need to bend one of my twin sticks that is made out of 1/2 thick round steel.
Can a yellow map gas tank heat it up enough to bend or should I just put the stick in my bench vice and put my floor jack tube over it and pull?

70_Steve

Old Guy
I am piecing together an oxy-acetylene torch but I don't have the tanks yet.

I need to bend one of my twin sticks that is made out of 1/2 thick round steel.
Can a yellow map gas tank heat it up enough to bend or should I just put the stick in my bench vice and put my floor jack tube over it and pull?
Yes either way. I suspect you don't have to bend the shift lever much. So, it really doesn't need the heat. But if you did heat it, you might notice it bends easier. The MAPP gas would probably get it hot enough.

I bent my Hurst 3-speed shifter using MAPP gas. I don't think it ever got red, but it bent where I heated it.

It scares me that you're "piecing together" a blue tip wrench...:eek:

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks guys. I will just try to bend it. I all ready shortened it and welded it back together but it is just a hair off from the other shifter.

I bought a oxy-acetylene torch kit from Lowes last year but just don't want to buy the $600 in tanks and the $100 cart just yet.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I will just try to bend it. I all ready shortened it and welded it back together but it is just a hair off from the other shifter.

I bought a oxy-acetylene torch kit from Lowes last year but just don't want to buy the $600 in tanks and the $100 cart just yet.

Just as an aside...my company has something like a dozen different gas bottles and we own not one; we found leasing to be more cost-effective and convenient than owning; if you own your tanks and intend to keep the ones you bought, you can't simply exchange them for full when empty. If you do go ahead and willingly exchange tanks you "own" for full ones, then you need to look at the payback period for the rent-vs-buy costs.

And then there are the periodic certs to deal with..and it was those as much as anything that prompted us to go all-leased about 15 years ago.

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
A MAP-Pro torch should be able to get hot enough. I've brazed steel with it, but it will take a little while to get the part glowing red. You'll get more BTU out of a larger torch head, so get the larger version.

On a side note, MAPP gas is no longer produced. The stuff in the the yellow bottles is MAP-Pro, which is just propylene. Propylene is a little hotter than propane, but not much. If you're shopping for a torch that puts out significantly more heat than a standard propane torch, skip the MAP-Pro, spend a few extra dollars and buy a small oxy / fuel gas kit.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I don't (and won't) own a torch setup. They can be dangerous if someone uses it without knowing how. They also will leave nothing left in the event of a shop fire. So far, I have been able to do everything I've needed to with a grinder/plasma/map torch.

That said, the MAP will get it plenty hot enough to bend.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I used MAP gas on mine. Takes a good 5 min to get hot enough but will go bright red all the way through...

But as others have said, now I bend with no heat and instead use my 12 ton press....

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks for the reminder Anthony. I have a 12 ton press in the corner of my garage that I total forgot about.

Fire is always more fun but I guess I will stick with the press this time.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Have you cked out home depot for buying Oxy Acetlyne bottles. I have two sets of bottles at my house (out side) and I use them frequently. I also take them on most of the outings, along with a MIG welder and a Bobcat welder to power the Mig. Like said they can be dangerous, but they make life easy.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Map gas with the right torch head will do it. you can bend it without heat but if you want a nice clean tight bend heat it cherry red and it will look bettter.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
I always use the quick trigger/map gas setup I got from lowes to bend twin sticks and similar metal stock. Works good!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2