• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 on the tree wont go into reverse

ajl7742

Loc.
Cade, Louisiana
I'm a bit stumped at this point and was hoping that someone out there might be able to point me in the right direction. Here is what I know:

The truck is a '74 with a stock three speed (manual) on the column.

Recently sat up for about a year or so, clutch was stuck initially but it freed up and now goes fine in forward but will not engage into reverse.

I tried to manually shift it, even removed the rod to make sure that was not the culprit with no success.

When I try to move the shift arm (on the transmission) into reverse it feels like its just running into something inside the transmission not allowing it to "click" into gear.

If I keep steady pressure on the shifter trying to force it into gear it will grind slightly but that's it.

Somebody please tell me that I don't have to take that thing out. Thanks in advance.

shado72

The same thing happen to me, and never figured it out. I had a c4 sitting in the garage and
instead of fixing the 3speed I decided to go ahead with the swap. I spoke to a guy at the transmission shop and he said it is probably the clutch fork that wasn't engaging,and they would fix it for 40.00 bucks.

Hopefully someone else would chime in cause I would also really like to know.

Sorry I couldn't help!

OP
OP
ajl7742

ajl7742

Loc.
Cade, Louisiana
I appreciate it. Doing a little digging into the forks is at least a place to start. That's better than me just lying under it trying to force the shift lever over and over expecting something different to happen.