• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor Pan and Other Half Done Metal Work

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Plugging away still, frame is ready to go to powder coating.. baby steps to say the least!

Attachments

• IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 169

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
It amazes me on what people are able to accomplish in a small working space.

My hat is off to you... You must have very understanding neighbors or you grease the squeaky wheel regularly. ;D

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Funny... I drove up the street with this rig almost a year ago neighbors thought cool nice truck. since then I have had body parts strewn across the drive way almost every day since the. Most of my neighbors have been really cool, I live on a single loaded street so that helps. My wife is the most annoyed since I took her parking place in the garage. I will post a picture of the utter mess I have made so far.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Last step before taking frame to powder coating!

Started to breakdown my front and rear axils, the rear looks good, I am upgrading to 32 spline I think my 28 would be welcomed by allot of the members on this site. I think the entire rear is in great shape, I just need to upgrade to different gearing.

The front axil looks weird, do the C bushing perches look wonky? PO did some fantastically shitty improvements..

Body underside is almost ready for Lizard Skin, hopping to get at it this weekend...

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 112

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't see anything out of the ordinary with the front c-bushing pads/wedges. They are skewed on purpose, if that was what you were talking about.
But while you do want them clean and rid of any casting scale and/or rust that might be around, you really don't want to powder coat them.
Maybe you can get your coater to apply just a tiny bit of coating to the pads to help them be part of the overall coating and maybe resist a little rust. Bu the typical thickness of coating actually changes how the bushings install.
Most C-bushings (but not all) will squeeze out a little bit during the torquing down of the caps. Add just those few extra mils of powder however, and they will very likely look like they're trying to spread their wings as they compress in the center and splooge out the sides.

Powder is great. But this is one o fit's little extras to be aware of.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and the rear has either been swapped in from a passenger car, or you got a semi-oddball in yours.
Not that it couldn't have happened on the assembly line back then, but the "pinion snubber" (that flat-ish flange, or hood over the top of the yoke is not a normal Bronco rear end part.

They were common on large passenger cars where they were trying to limit axle wrap, or use it as a common bump-stop pad when they could not accommodate any farther out the tubes.

I think they're kind of cool myself. Never seen one on an EB that was there from the factory, but I would not be at all surprised if they exist.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well crap... I wasn't paying attention and just posted #30,000 right there!
Was going to make a dedicated thread about it when it happened, but it went by while I was asleep at the wheel!
Oh well, better talking to you's guys about Bronco stuff than myself about nuttin' anyway.
;D
Paul

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Paul here is the tag from the rear end..

Marti report says: 3.50 Limited Slip Rear Axle

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 65

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Boy, someone was having an off day when they were stamping that thing! Kind of all over the place.
Maybe a Friday after "lunch" was when it got stamped out.

D2 would usually meant '72 in Ford parts-speak, but on an axle tag it could mean other things I suppse. The J9 looks like an axle code. Is that an "A" or a "4" in front of it?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul 30K posts now that is Guru status for sure!!

haha! Nope, at 29,999 I knew everything, but at 30,000 I forgot most of it.
Getting my knowledge on in another thread about ignition and instrument voltage to show I don't know diddly.
Or Jack either!

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and to put it in perspective, there's a guy over on Ford-Trucks.com that has been there for something like a week now, and he's up to 76,486 posts!
Ok, so he's been there for about 12 years now. But comon' now! 76 thousand posts? Yikes!
That's dedication... And a sore butt!

Paul

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and to put it in perspective, there's a guy over on Ford-Trucks.com that has been there for something like a week now, and he's up to 76,486 posts!
Ok, so he's been there for about 12 years now. But comon' now! 76 thousand posts? Yikes!
That's dedication... And a sore butt!

Paul

#keyboardwarrior

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Paul you rock!

I am thinking this might be a Falcon rear end? My Marti says something else but this Bronco is a hoge poge piece of pure Frankenstein shit!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hard to say really. I've only seen them in the bigger cars, but it wouldn't be impossible for one to find it's way to whatever vehicle coming down the line I would think.

You'll often see references to "Falcon" in the Ford assembly codes because even our engines were Falcon engines I think. Or one of the other line codes.
For instance, in a sequence of numbers like C8TZ that part was put into production in '68 specifically for the Truck line. But a similar C8AB would have been Falcon I think, even though it was in a Bronco.
So a Bronco can come with parts from a different lineup. Just look at the seats for instance. Mustang seats in a vehicle that came down the truck production line, so it would be in a truck, but have been a Mustang/Falcon part.
Of course, some consider our Broncos as cars anyway, but the opposite is true too. We have plenty of "T" parts on our rigs.

But yes, there are many true Frankenstein'd Broncos running around with nothing to do with Ford's own Frankenstein process.
I don't remember for sure that the "A" was for Falcon, but I think that's the way it ran down the list.

Paul

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Made a small amount of progress this week, finished prepping tub and laid down some primer. Hope to get the Lizard Skin done the next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 162