• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bestop - just saying hi

Broncmeister

I wish Bestop would have helped a month ago when I inquired about a replacement skin since the mice chewed mine up as it sat waiting for the bronco to get painted. The answer I got then was short and to the point, "Sorry, we do not sell the skins and hardware separate at this time. You will have to purchase the entire kit with installation hardware from one of our vendors". It just seemed like Bestop was not too interested in the Bronco community. I realize it's a small market and all, but come on. Bestop makes them or has them made separately, then combines them into a kit for a final product. Here I have a (IMO) beautiful freshly painted bronco that I spent two years rebuilding, and I am stuck with a soft top full of mouse holes. And I'm sorry, but I refuse to purchase the entire kit just to replace the skin. It infuriates me to see my son showing off his brand new skin on his wrangler with a supertop, and I cannot get one for my bronco.

OK I've vented. I feel better now.

OP
OP
G

GeoffatBestop

White/replacement skins/custom stuff:

Not a chance in hell now, and not for foreseeable future.

That's nothing to do with lack of respect for Bronco community -- and everything to do with desperately trying to keep up with vastly increased demand in Wrangler world.

That demand is from three main things:

1. New Jeep sales through the roof (we make all the factory tops as well). July was best month EVER for Jeep. Huge pressure on our manufacturing capacity. We love you guys, but pay more attention to our single biggest customer, to be sure.

2. JKs are getting to the point where people are starting to modify them, and the numbers are huge, compared to Bronco/Scout/Flatfender crowds.

3. Our Trektop NX top for Wranglers is big hit, and we're way behind.

We talk about doing small runs and more custom stuff. But just talk. Hard to even talk about it when we are very far behind.

Bronco's are coolness in sheet metal. Ain't no doubt. But we're a business.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Yea, that's how Levi's got so big! We sell most of our jeans to skinny people with 24" waists so we're not making them for any other sizes!....NOT!!!

THIS IS AMERICA! GOOD GOD MAN, QUIT MAKING EXCUSES AND MAKE SOME PRODUCT!

Seriously, build a plant, add a shift, go where the labor and materials are (as long as it's in the good old USA) do the American thing and meet the challenge and make quality products. Most manufacturers spin off a smaller division to meet the needs of the smaller or custom markets, they charge more but the diversity and ability to meet the need nets them the market share of the sales. I don't mean to be harsh but you're the only vendor on here who has little to sell other than a take it or leave it complete top in one color, what's the point? Henry Ford started out saying "you can have your car any color you want, as long as it's black". That didn't last long, how long would he have been in business once others started offering options and they wouldn't?

I had the same situation as Broncmeister, mice got to my brand new Bestop before I got it on my frame off resto last winter. It was never even out of the box.:cry: I would have bought a skin if I could have, now it looks like a Raggedy Ann top with patches.

I'm just sayin'.....

OP
OP
G

GeoffatBestop

... I don't mean to be harsh but you're the only vendor on here who has little to sell other than a take it or leave it complete top in one color, what's the point? ..

Well, maybe a little harsh.

Also slightly wrong: we have something like 900 SKUs in over 100 main product categories, from bumpers to replacement mirrors. Truck tonneaus and steps. Plus of course, soft tops.

We just do not strongly cater to this particular market.

PLEASE -- I didn't sign up here to try and sell you our few Bronco products. You know they exist, we don't need to keep telling you.

Bestop's motives for joining this site are a bit more mercenary: I just bought a '76, and wanted to join. This benefits everyone, but mostly just me.

I am the guy at Bestop who buys all the online ads and sponsors online sites.
But mostly this is personal.

OklahomaBroncoB

Loc.
Bixby Oklahoma
I understand frustrations but i know it's not Geoff's fault. He is just taking a bludgeoning on here. We are glad you are here and have joined the brotherhood. We may fight amongst ourselves but what family doesn't.

OP
OP
G

GeoffatBestop

I understand frustrations but i know it's not Geoff's fault. He is just taking a bludgeoning on here. We are glad you are here and have joined the brotherhood. We may fight amongst ourselves but what family doesn't.

Thanks. But I'm absolutely NOT upset about the comments and suggestions.

I get them all the time at all the trade shows and on all the forums.

I just wanted to set expectations for why "Bestop" is here. Because we will be a shitty vendor in the traditional sense, no doubt. We do sell thru a lot of your better vendors, and support them all!

(secret side note: when we're at shows and see some crusty old fart with a twenty-year-old camo truckers hat coming towards us, we all try to hide. It's going to be either "why no white tops for my CJ3B/Bronco/Scout" or it's going to be a long explanation of this cool way they took our regular top and made it really good using a rivet gun and fishing line.)

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Ok, maybe a bit harsh. Sorry bout that! I'm really not meaning to beat up on you, more like encourage, I think that's the intent on everyone who's posted to this thread with a wish or want.

I totally understand the whole cookie cutter thing, I'm just the type who hates to say the word CAN'T. I've made my living out of saying "We can do that" and then figuring out how to do it. I'm sorry if I've made you feel less welcome because I feel strongly about this topic. Long and short: I'm thrilled your here, hope to meet you some day and I think it's great that you picked a vehicle with style and function out of a sea of the same old Jeeps. Now let's see some posts with pictures of you ride!

OP
OP
G

GeoffatBestop

Our messages crossed mid stream. Not upset in the least. Not thin skinned, and also not really trying to rationalize or apologize for Bestop business plans. They is what they is, I just try to explain clearly and concisely. Well, clearly anyway.

---------------
I bought my Bronco, but have been on the road ever since. Hoping to get it on a trail this Sunday. Bought some parts from members here already, haven't even opened the boxes.

I really get into unique and weird vehicles. I've owned old Datsun Roadsters, plus Scouts, Jeepsters, ancient CJs -- right now I have an old Alfa Romeo Spider and the Scout in the "fun" side of the garage.

So I understand the passion. And the desire for easy to get parts.

OP
OP
G

GeoffatBestop

78-79 Top:

Ain't gonna happen.

Too few vehicles, and (sadly) getting smaller each year.

That's a better product for someone smaller and more nimble than us.

You may want to contact B-D Company in Denver and bug them. I believe they own the old patterns from Kaypro, and I think they're the ones who made that 78-79 top (I also may have totally scrambled all these facts).

Schenkapotomus

Loc.
Covington, WA
White/replacement skins/custom stuff:

Not a chance in hell now, and not for foreseeable future.

That's nothing to do with lack of respect for Bronco community -- and everything to do with desperately trying to keep up with vastly increased demand in Wrangler world.

Is there a magic number for a custom run that makes this work for the business?

50, 100, 500, or 10,000?

Could we start a collection of names?

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Wow Geoff! Thanks for the very frank and straight forward answers and insight. I can't believe your boss is letting you post like this ;) but I for one appreciate the honesty.

Just understand it's not going to keep us from trying!

Oh, and welcome to the site!

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Welcome to the site. Unfortunately for us bronco guys and gals, Besttop equals Jeep. Just the way it is. Maybe you can talk the powers to be into creating a skunk works line where you service us small guys with special runs! :cool:

OP
OP
G

GeoffatBestop

Is there a magic number for a custom run that makes this work for the business?

50, 100, 500, or 10,000?

Could we start a collection of names?

Please DON'T start a collection of names. It'll do nothing but cause frustration for us all.

Custom runs and custom manufacturing is something we haven't done in years and years, but something a lot of the employee/enthusiasts here at HQ would like to get going again.

We watch the new, more flexible manufacturing methods. We pay attention to requests and chatter from places like this (and I absolutely do pass feedback along to product development).

But that's as far as it's going right now.

Brutally, bluntly honest: EB numbers (and 78/79) are really, really small. I think it says something about Bronco owners that so many awesome companies make things for our vehicles. Small in numbers, but very into it.

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
78-79 Top:

Ain't gonna happen.

Too few vehicles, and (sadly) getting smaller each year.

That's a better product for someone smaller and more nimble than us.

You may want to contact B-D Company in Denver and bug them. I believe they own the old patterns from Kaypro, and I think they're the ones who made that 78-79 top (I also may have totally scrambled all these facts).

That kinda stinks, my truck is not going anywhere soon....:cry:
I really hope not and at the same time I hope in the next 10 years someone make a fiberglass or steel replacement tub......%)
Photo0900.jpg

1-27-11001.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That kinda stinks, my truck is not going anywhere soon....:cry:
I really hope not and at the same time I hope in the next 10 years someone make a fiberglass or steel replacement tub......%)

mmmmmmmmmm Nice Truck... my goodness.

OP
OP
G

GeoffatBestop

You could loan that truck to me for a bit. I'll use it to make some patterns, and do a bit of, um, testing.

It's an amazing ride. Well done.

But you KNOW how rare you are.