• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Transfer Case?

Rymadd

So I will be pulling the body off my truck by the end of this year and putting in a 351W and zf 5 speed along with a bunch of other work. I want a more modern Transfer case as well that will bolt right up to a ford 4x4 tranny (married). Any opinions on best one?

I want to be able to run a twin stick on it. The D20 I have is a j shifter, It just sucks to shift, and I want something better. I know the 1356 works and the np205. The np205 seems to be a beast of a transfercase and will hold up to anthing an early bronco will put it through. I like not having to worry about stuff, and with the ZF's 1st gear I really don't care about the 1.96 low ratio.

Anybody with expericence doing this setup?

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I'd get an Atlas if I were you. Modern, bolts up with the right ring, twin stick, can handle the HP, your choice of gear ratios. Only downside is its not cheap but it looks like you'll be spending some money on the rest of your drivetrain, no sense in cheaping out on the T-case that only has 2:1 low range.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
The 1356 wont work. It won't fit between the frame rails. And the 205 is no more modern than the d20. Atlas or stak would be your best bet. I would go atlas, heard many bad things about stak.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Dusty

Bronco Guru
If you want a Stak I have a brand new one in a box I'd sell you so I can buy an Atlas :D

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I've been running a NP205 behind my NP435 & it's great. Twin sticked it myself by modifying the shift rail and got a set of JB Fab sticks. Took way longer to clean and paint the case than to modify for twin stick. I just got done going over another NP205 and modifying it to put behind a ZF so I'll have as little down time as possible when I do the swap. Atlas is a better case and has lower gearing but I paid 3K less for my NP205 than for an Atlas and it works great for me.

OP
OP
Rymadd

Rymadd

Not looking to throw down that much cash for an atlas. I already have a motor, with the 5.72 first and 4.88 gears, I'll have about a 55 to 1 ratio with an np205. Didn't know the 1356 don't fit but they are pretty beast looking. I can buy a 205 around here for around $200 and have a buddy rebuild it for a few hundred. While they are only a few years later, I have heard people say that they shift better.

I will probably put an atlas in in the future, but I'm spending money on other stuff first.

Any other transfer cases that work?

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Not looking to throw down that much cash for an atlas. I already have a motor, with the 5.72 first and 4.88 gears, I'll have about a 55 to 1 ratio with an np205. Didn't know the 1356 don't fit but they are pretty beast looking. I can buy a 205 around here for around $200 and have a buddy rebuild it for a few hundred. While they are only a few years later, I have heard people say that they shift better.

I will probably put an atlas in in the future, but I'm spending money on other stuff first.

Any other transfer cases that work?

If your plan is to put in an Atlas later then I would definitely stick with your plan of doing a 205 for now. They are beefy and will bolt up. Only thing I'm not sure about is how well they fit between the frame rails but I'm sure there is info here about that if you search. I was going to recommend staying with the D20 instead, and twin-sticking it, as its a pretty stout little T-case already. But you will spend more on adapters to keep the D20, that you could put instead toward your future Atlas.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I have an older Atlas, wouldn't have anything else. It's held up to all the abuse I've passed out. Best money I've spent.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I have an NP205 behind my 4R70W. Its an inexpensive no nonsense option. I originally did it as a temporary solution, until I could afford to buy an Atlas II. I've been running it now for 3 years and it's worked so well, I doubt I will replace it. Just make sure that you fabricate something for the side mount to the frame (see my gallery). It's a beast. I had twin sticks on my D20 and run the NP205 with just the stock single shifter. The twin sticks looked cool, but didn't really need them 99% or the time.

OP
OP
Rymadd

Rymadd

I have an NP205 behind my 4R70W. Its an inexpensive no nonsense option. I originally did it as a temporary solution, until I could afford to buy an Atlas II. I've been running it now for 3 years and it's worked so well, I doubt I will replace it. Just make sure that you fabricate something for the side mount to the frame (see my gallery). It's a beast. I had twin sticks on my D20 and run the NP205 with just the stock single shifter. The twin sticks looked cool, but didn't really need them 99% or the time.

How does it shift?
I really don't go into the knarly rocks much so I don'r care about the 3 or 4 to 1 low ranges in the Atlas t cases. This seems like a decent transfer case and I will already be doing custom mounts so that isn't a big deal. It is a little heavy but not a big deal.

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Why not just make your Dana 20 a twin stick. D20s are plenty strong if yours is a j shift, it's super easy to convert to a twin stick shifter.

OP
OP
Rymadd

Rymadd

Why not just make your Dana 20 a twin stick. D20s are plenty strong if yours is a j shift, it's super easy to convert to a twin stick shifter.

One, I'm not partial to it at all, It shifts terrible and probably needs a rebuild. I could buy a 205 which is stronger and rebuild it for the same cost as buying an adapter, and it bolts right up to a zf with a little clearencing for the shift rails. I already will be doing custom mounts and moving stuff around so I'm not worried about keeping it stock.

I get 350hp and 400 lb/ft It will still have plenty of tranny to not ever have to worry and I won't even be working the t case.