• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Charging problems

BUZZMAN

Loc.
harpers ferry W.V.
I have a charging problem. I tested the alt. voltage regulater I even ran a ground from the alt. to the engine and then to the fenderwell. and still does not charge please help! Thank you Galen

B

bert

Whats the voltage at the back of the alt and at the battery with the engine running above idle? If the alternator is really putting out then I would suspect a bad connection or wire somewhere. Has your wiring been butchered by a PO?

B

bert

12.3 volts at the alt and battery tells me the alt is not charging. Your 1st post said you tested the alt and reg. I assume you removed them and took them to a parts store for testing. If that is the case then I would suspect either bad wiring between reg and alt or grounding problems at the reg or alt case. Stock alt and reg or upgraded to something else?

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=BUZZMAN link=board=5;threadid=17311;start=0#msg132273 date=1052668383]
the voltage is 12.3 at both bat. and alt. The po did splice some of that part of the harness but he soudered them together nicely
[/quote]

12.3 at the alt tells me to look at the alt. The value should be 14.5 or so.

OP
OP
B

BUZZMAN

Loc.
harpers ferry W.V.
maybe I didn't check it a the alt. Is there a way to jump it to the battery? Does the charging system run through the ignition switch? Someone had installed an afrtermarket ignition switch.

B

bert

You can bypass the regulator by jumping a hot wire to the stator terminal (ford) and check for charging voltage, bypass the regulator only long enough to test. The charge (batt) wire goes to the ingnition switch, light switch, fuse box, and by the amp meter (inductive) then back to the battery side of the solenoid through a fusible link (not in order). If you have battery voltage at the batt terminal of the alt, this circuit is probably good. Have fun.

Landshark

Loc.
California
[quote author=BUZZMAN link=board=5;threadid=17311;start=0#msg132266 date=1052666190]
I have a charging problem. I tested the alt. voltage regulater I even ran a ground from the alt. to the engine and then to the fenderwell. and still does not charge please help! Thank you Galen
[/quote]

You should be running at least 13.8 volts with an
idle amps about 26, high amps around 55 to 60.

Nuke

I had this problem--it turned out the alt and reg where wired wrong. Check out this link for the correct wiring:

http://classicbroncos.com/webmap/Electrical/Wiring_Diagrams/

Also, there was oringally a fuseable link, a fuse in series with one of the wires from the alt to the reg. It could be blown. In my case, it was removed.

As far as "jumping the alt to the battery" I don't know what your talking about. Take the alt out and to the auto store to have them check it out.

B

bert

Sorry guys, I said feed the sta wire. That is wrong. Feed the field wire. Feeding (jumping power to the field) will energize the rotor (field) and cause the alt to charge at full output. This effectively bypasses the regulator in the charging system. Basically this is all they do at the parts store. It is a simple test to deterimine if the alt is capable of charging. If the wiring is good and the alternator charges when feeding the field then the regulator is poorly grounded or bad.