• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mystery Government Bronco: Please Tell Me What My VIN Means!!!!

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
www.designatedmedia.com/broncovin.html

Ok I finally got around to stripping the paint off my vin tag. I have thought for a while that this was a '67, since it has a 67 dash etc. Well, low and behold, I actually don't know what year it is, or for that matter, What the dso code means. It has NO color code. It has a "B" date code, which falls between the 67's "A" designation, and the 68's "C" designation. As I understand it, 68 starts with C right? there is a post on this site somewhere that has a scan of a 68's vin guide and it says it starts with C.

Ok, now the DSO reads: 830106

In my original 1967 shop manulal, is says that 83 is the government DSO spec., and i read on here that the next 4 digits are the S.O. customers digits, and don't tell you much. I hope i am wrong because I would love to know what this bronco was used for!

Now, onto the speedo.....

Has anyone seen one that just has ALT and OIL text instead of the gauges? I haven't, but it is on mine.....

PLEASE HELP!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The B date code is correct for 67 as they started with A00,001 and ended with B82,000.
Cant help with any of the other codes
As for your gauges that sounds like some one put in a later model gauge cluster I believe 76/77 clusters are as you describe.

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
ok what would be the month code for a B13968?

My 1967 shop manual was published in august 1966, and has dates of August A 00,000 - August A 71,999

I wasn't aware they changed the cluster in 76/77. My friend's 76 has the regular cluster, and is all original....

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
I haven't found anything that shows 67 going to a B designation. Is there a site online that anyone knows of? I have no doubt that 67 went to a B code, but whats with the 13,968? A code leaves off with A 71,999.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I got mine codes out of a parts interchange manual but I just looked in my JBG catolog and they have the same codes they should also have this on there site if not try the bronco ohio site.

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
i tried bronco ohio and it is the same story. They skip the B codes. tried JBG, but it has no list online that I could find. Anyone else have any idea on this DSO or VIN or anything?

Oh is body code 998 stand for parchment?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The first 9 could stand for parchment and the 98 should be for Long roof (wagon) for U150 or HD package for U151 models

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
Vin Location?

I did not see this on the thread....read threw quick though...

Is the VIn on the drivers side kickplate? THink it was only there for 66 and 67

Guess that does not mean much - 1 have a 67 I will get my Vin info post when I can ....

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Definitely need to find someone with a 67 ford shop manual. He's right about the vin on the kick panel I have a 67 body on my 73 and theres a vin plate there 2 bad its 2 hours away right now or I'd take a look at it. Also if you have the round door strikers it should be a 67 as in 68 they went to the oval strikers and they were located lower.

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
I have the 1967 shop manual! Thats why it is so wierd that none of this matches up.

yes it is on the kick panel.

Now what does it mean if a bronco doesn't have a color code? It had to be painted, so did it mean that the color was not a factory ford color?

Does anyone else have a government DSO code?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Maybe we need someone with a manual that was published in 67 instead of 66 that would help I'm sure. I'm not real sure about the paint code but I would think that if its designated as a goverment vehicle they probably didnt paint it so which ever agency ordered it could paint it there own color ie, forest service light green, military olive drab ect.

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
Did the 67 manual have a reprint? As far as I know there was only one version. All were printed the same. Don't quote me on this, but The guy I got mine from on ebay deals in all years of bronco manuals and said there was only this version.

So in the JBG catolog 67 goes to a B code for sure?

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
my vin

Well I tried to take some pics but could not get anything good with the lighting etc. I will try again tomorrow...

My VIN Plate is the same way... Nothing under Color...

it is
my vin #

then below that
092 U150 998 C 03

then below towards the right

cdkaminsky

Loc.
Pflugerville
weird

kaisermusic said:
wow thats wierd...

was yours manufactured in the michigan truck plant?

Does your gauge cluster match mine?

Yes that is really strange ...I think mine was build like 6 EBs after yours haha...

my vin is U15FLB13974

I believe the last 5 #s are the consecutive unit #s

no my gauge is not the same...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes the JBG catalog (summer fall 2004) goes from A00,001 - B82,000 As does LMC catalog and my parts interchange book. Due to the fact that your shop manual was published before the end of the year they may have just based it on 66 production numbers but ended up producing more than estimated so the B series was added well after the manual was printed.

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
is yours also originally a 6 cyl or a 289? Also, is your rig the original color too?
Mine is also a dark green. Like a park service color it seems? I would love to be able to find out more about our DSO specification. I thought the last 4 digits of the DSO were specific to the company or oganization, if thats true, then ours were both built for the same organization. What is it?????!?!?