• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch pedal removal - frustrating!!!

Hurseyc

Loc.
Waterloo, IL
Is there some secret to getting the rod out that the clutch and brake pedal ride on???

I took the fresh air box out to get access to the back of the speedo and noticed the rod with the kotter key was right there so I figured I'd take the opportunity to remove the clutch pedal.

I got the kotter key out fine but the rod won't budge more than one or two millimeters.

I tried prying from the other end where the other kotter key is as well.

Is there something that holds that thing from moving?

I did notice the spacer next to the clutch spins freely. I thought maybe that was rusted.

Anyway, any tips?

Thanks!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I took the box that both the clutch and brake peddles are mounted in, off the fire wall to rebuild the whole assembly. If you do that you can replace the bushings, bumpers,etc. I put the wide disc brake pedal on mine.

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Sorry, I removed mine but can't remember if it was hard or not. This is something you might consider doing along with removing the clutch. When I did mine I also moved the break over to the clutch spot along with the offset booster mounting bracket on the other side of the firewall. This spaced the break and gas pedals apart and made room for a wide break pedal. It also moved the break booster and master cylinder over the wheel well and really opened up that side of the motor that was already crowded with steering, break lines, power steering, etc. Everything looks and works well so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The rod only comes out one direction, I believe it's towards the driverside. I added a clutch pedal a while back.

The rod has cotter pins on both ends, but the rod end by the brake pedal is notched smaller so it can't come out that side. You have to take the cotter pin out on the brake pedal side and pull the rod out towards the clutch side.

Last thing: I took the whole set-up off the Bronco when I was disassembling for restoration. About a month ago I got around to disassembling the pedals to have them zinc coated, and even out of the Bronco and in the garage on a work bench, it was pretty tough. The grease on the plastic bushings had gotten VERY thick and gooey.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hurseyc

Loc.
Waterloo, IL
I've got a friend coming over later to help. Between the two of us we'll see if we can pull it out towards the driver's side.

Thanks again for all the info.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Hey guys before you switch to the power brake arm with the larger pad I wanted to let you know that Duff's offers a billet conversion pad that goes on the small non power brake arm, but gives it the look of the larger power brake pad. Simple bolt on.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I just cut my pedal off with a sawzall. :)

Got tired of looking up there through all the wire and stuff and wasnt about to pull the whole thing down.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
pictures?

Sorry, I removed mine but can't remember if it was hard or not. This is something you might consider doing along with removing the clutch. When I did mine I also moved the break over to the clutch spot along with the offset booster mounting bracket on the other side of the firewall. This spaced the break and gas pedals apart and made room for a wide break pedal. It also moved the break booster and master cylinder over the wheel well and really opened up that side of the motor that was already crowded with steering, break lines, power steering, etc. Everything looks and works well so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Nice idea.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
I'm in the middle of moving mine over, too. (today) It was hard to get out the first time. I heartily recommend pulling the fresh air box first. (I did after I fought the shaft out.. :mad:) It comes out to the driver's side, BTW.:cool:

djhudson05

Chris,
If you still need help, let me know, I can see about getting up there to help out.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
When I dropped mine out...I had so many Fru$in bolts holding that piece to the firewall....In a rollover that one corner would not bend...thats for sure

OP
OP
H

Hurseyc

Loc.
Waterloo, IL
Thx everyone.

I got it worked out today. Pulled it out the driver's side like everyone mentioned.

One thing to note for anyone as clueless as me that does this in the future, when reassembling, the shaft has to slide in with the flat spot up to go through the third brace that's on the outside on the brake pedal side.

Once we got that figured out and stole one of the bushings from the old clutch pedal, easy as pie!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As mentioned, there is a flat machined into the end of the shaft. Keeps the shaft from spinning in the mounts. Since only the last bracket has the "D" cutout in it, it only goes in and out one way.