• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

95 mustang 302 HO swap

Lloyd

Loc.
Williamsburg, Kentucky
I found a 95 302 HO with 67,000 miles including the wiring harness, headers, and sensors, and possibly the computer for 625. Everything I've read says to go with an 89-93, but this seems to be too good a deal to pass on. It seems the biggest issue with 94-95 is a smaller pool of salvage parts to choose from and a different wiring harness.<br><br>I can possibly get the stuff for a serpentine conversion as well. How hard is this to do. <br><br>It will be a daily driver with a c4 auto trans. I'd like to hear other's stories on efi and what the biggest problems are, hidden costs, etc. <br><br>What about throttle linkage and the kickdown rod?<br>Do motor mounts line up?<br><br>I know this topic has been discussed indepth before, but I haven't been too interested in it until now.<br><br>Any and all advice and opinions would be much appreciated.<br>

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Your biggest prob will be how wide the motor is. You may need to chop out some inner fender :(<br><br>If your good with tools, do it ;D

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
From what I hear, it's the little stuff that gets you (fuel pumps, wiring harness, etc.) I have also heard it is too wide (like Henry said), but if you can figure out the wiring and pick it up for cheap, go for it.

randall25x

A 95 302 is a 302, a 5.0, whatever you want to call it. It is not a modular motor therefore it is no wider than a 75 302. The modular mustang motor is a 4.6 and started in 96 if im not mistaken.

OP
OP
L

Lloyd

Loc.
Williamsburg, Kentucky
It comes with the wiring harness and I can get the control box. How much harder will it be to wire that an 89-93 if I have the harness? 95 was the last year for the 302 so I don't think width should be an issue. Wouldn't the fuel pump and plumbing be the same as the 89-93 swap?

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
Go for it! Its an easy install! The main difference is the electronics. Worst case senario You get a 89-93 wire harness and computer. Sell the 95 harness & computer on ebay. A 5.0 is a 5.0! The 4.6 is the wide engine. I have installed two 5.0 and one 5.8L EFI and have really enjoyed the challenge. I just wish I knew about this site when I did it.

OP
OP
L

Lloyd

Loc.
Williamsburg, Kentucky
I was wondering if I could use an 89-93 harness/control box if problems occurred. Would I have to use different sensors then that were compatible with that harness? Also, what are the pros/cons of the serpentine belt set up? I read that the 94-95 required the use of an electric fan? I also read that the EGR? sensors were different in 94-95? I'm wondering about that. I'm hoping to install a centech harness at the same time and hoping this will make the install easier. The bronco is completely apart - an empty tub sitting on the frame with no drivetrain. This should be the easiest time to tackle this job.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Lloyd link=board=5;threadid=10422;start=0#75757 date=1035251573]<br>I was wondering if I could use an 89-93 harness/control box if problems occurred. Would I have to use different sensors then that were compatible with that harness? Also, what are the pros/cons of the serpentine belt set up? I read that the 94-95 required the use of an electric fan? I also read that the EGR? sensors were different in 94-95? I'm wondering about that. I'm hoping to install a centech harness at the same time and hoping this will make the install easier. The bronco is completely apart - an empty tub sitting on the frame with no drivetrain. This should be the easiest time to tackle this job.<br>[/quote]The EGR may be different but the rest should be the same. I am using all LTD stuff with the Mustang Computer. Minor Wire changes were required but other than that it was straight forward. You can use a standard fan the computer wont know the difference.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Go for it. That engine should have the short Explorer style belts. This would let you put an Explorer waterpump and fan on it.<br><br>I think they started using the stubby waterpump on the last body style T-bird. Then it was carried over to the Stang. At the end of the 5.0 days with the stang, it went in the Explorer, gaining the fan.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you get everything, go ahead and use the 94-95 harness and ECM. It is all one big happy package. It is pre '96 so you don't have any of theos damn OBDII issues to take care of.<br><br>The question is - did it come from an automatic car? if so, did you get the transmission as well? For the 94+ it should be a computer controled transmission. The ECM may not be happy if it doesn't see a transmission that it expects to be there. On the other hand, a dumb transmission (not ECM controlled) should work fine behind a stick shift computer. and of course a stick will work fine with a stick.