• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF shifting question

Galt72

Contributor
Little background, Nearing the end of a 5 yr build. Explorer injected 5.0. I had a NP435 installed CF II clutch and it was running but wanted a ZF. Found one, My son a Ford Mechanic and their master Trans guy tore it down inspected and said it looked like new and put it back together.

The other night my son and I bled the master. I suspect there maybe still some air in it as the pedal is soft and only doing its job the bottom 4 " or so. My son said he could see it pushing on the clutch doing its job.

The next night I noticed I can row the shifter through the gears like butter. There is no difference between the clutch engaged or not. There is no feed back at all!! My question is this normal? I'm use to the feel of the 435. I can't start it as I have no exhaust system yet. I'm scheduled to have it towed on wed to the muffler shop. Not doing that if I have to pull the trans....

Thanks for any advise or thoughts.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Sitting on flat ground it will shift no problems remember its synchronized

OP
OP
Galt72

Galt72

Contributor
Thank you, It shifts so smooth it scared the crap out of me !!!

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
If you didn't bench bleed the MC and line it may still have bubbles in it. Its a pain to get them all out bleeding it all assembled together. I'm not sure what system you are using to depress your MC from the pedal, but you may need to adjust it out a little so it functions in the range you desire.

OP
OP
Galt72

Galt72

Contributor
yep, didn't bench bleed it. Read that after I had it all installed.%) I have the modified stock clutch pedal with the stopper attached to the arm to avoid bottoming out the master. I agree I've got some adjusting still to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Why can't you start it? Heck, not like you'll be revving it to 3k just to see if when you push the clutch in you can shift from 1st to reverse without grinding...do it...even if you have to tow it out of your neighbor hood or something...

Guess I'm really lucky I live where I do... although retiree "ranchettes" are popping up...