• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

School me on bellhousings, and clutch forks

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Hey guys looks like I got to pull my trans due to a throwout bearing thats making noises

My current setupwith my nv3550 and Ford racing 5 liter uses the older style bail wire clutch fork. I know there is a clip style clutch fork, and I can buy one of them along twith the clip for it. which is what I may end up doing.

Though I also saw a totally different setup at a speed shop the other day. I think it was from a late model mustang, as it had a ford stamping on the bellhousing. This one had a ball style pivot on the clutch fork, on the right side of the bellhousing and looks like a lot better design.

So here are my questions
If I convert my bellhousing to a clip style clutch fork, what all is involved, and do the holes for the bracket for the wire type line up.

Also I am wondering if a later model F150 4x4 say from the late 80's with a 5 liter and a standard trans would have the other type of clutch fork, and if it will work with the stock bronco clutch linkage, or do I have to go with a haydrolic slave cylinder??

I have a feeling my issue is due to the wire type clutch fork, and thinking the clip type or a later model setup my solve my issues

any feedback is appreciated

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The late model mustang bellhousing most likely tilts the transmission and I believe the transmission bolt pattern is a little different as well. probably wont work with your 3550 adapter plate.
Any the other bellhousings you mentioned will work the mid 80's truck type may have hydraulic slave cylinder but you can still use stock bronco linkage might have to fab up a bracket for the equalizer bar but it shouldnt be a issue. truck bellhousings from the 300 6cyl 302 and 351W will all interchange.
as for other 302 bellhousings well just make sure its the large bellhousing so your 164tooth flywheel and 11in clutch will fit. A lot of cars had the 157 tooth bellhousings a lot of them tned to be aluminum.