• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Having trouble with CB website pages loading?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
It's new. Clicking on "New Post" each day used to only resultin one or two pages, sometimes three pages to click on at the bottom. Now you get the new post threads, and then about 20 pages of active threads.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
It's new. Clicking on "New Post" each day used to only resultin one or two pages, sometimes three pages to click on at the bottom. Now you get the new post threads, and then about 20 pages of active threads.

/\/\/\This/\/\/\

So I'm not crazy....lol

The fact is that if this is "The new normal" I am perfectly okay with that. Not preferred.
But,
I love this damn site.
I just thought something was wrong on my end.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
But this is a new thing, yes?

This is not how it was before the update.

If it is an intended outcome of the update then that is fine, I just thought it was just me.
To be honest I don't know if it's new or not. I used the "new posts" feature before but didn't really pay attention to whether my own posts showed up. So if you say it used to be that way then it must have changed.

The recent forum update was not intended to change any features. It was just to bring the software up to date and take advantage of some behind the scenes data processing improvements. But what may have happened is the update fixed what wasn't working as intended before. In my mind it makes perfect sense that your own post wouldn't show as new to you since you just saw it when you posted it. So I expect it was always supposed to work like that, but maybe on the older software it didn't work quite right.

So in a way it kind of is what it is now, but let me ask you this... Why do you want your recent posts to show as new to you? Is it a way of tracking what you recently posted? I'm wondering if there's maybe another way to achieve what you want to.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
This is what I get now when clicking "new posts", you can see there's new posts, and then active Posts below, 18 more pages of them. Prior to the update, only the "new post threads" would have appeared, so in this case less than a half of a page of them. Not a big deal whatsoever, but it is different than before the update.

Screenshot_2017-08-11-22-30-11_zps6rgxviup.png

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
To be honest I don't know if it's new or not. I used the "new posts" feature before but didn't really pay attention to whether my own posts showed up. So if you say it used to be that way then it must have changed.

The recent forum update was not intended to change any features. It was just to bring the software up to date and take advantage of some behind the scenes data processing improvements. But what may have happened is the update fixed what wasn't working as intended before. In my mind it makes perfect sense that your own post wouldn't show as new to you since you just saw it when you posted it. So I expect it was always supposed to work like that, but maybe on the older software it didn't work quite right.

So in a way it kind of is what it is now, but let me ask you this... Why do you want your recent posts to show as new to you? Is it a way of tracking what you recently posted? I'm wondering if there's maybe another way to achieve what you want to.

It is fine, as I have said before
I love this bar.

I kind of thought maybe It was how I was logged in or something. It was an odd change and I assumed it was something I was doing or something I had set on automatic previously.

Jon,

If you check my post history you will see I am a very regular member. So I really do appreciate you and all you do here.
As I said earlier if this is how it is now that is fine with me I just wondered if I was crazy or if I was somehow not logged in right or something, lol.

Cheers to all!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since the fix my links still don't take me directly to where expected.
For instance, when I copied n pasted the link from my notification e-mail, instead of putting me directly to Jon's post #45 that it referenced, it ran me all the way back up to #38 from three days ago.
Here too, maybe the software and cookies are just doing what they're supposed to. Since I had not visited this thread since that previous post by bronconut, the browser just started where I'd left off.
Previously though, it would have put me directly where the e-mail link indicated.

And while we're on the subject of things changing (a "little bit" after the fact though), a couple of years ago (maybe quite a bit longer than that) when you were doing one upgrade or another, the BOLD text indicating I had not read a particular thread since new posts had been added, changed to standard text.
So instead of threads that I've read being standard text and new posts being indicated by BOLD text, it has been the opposite all this time.

Here again, maybe that's how it's supposed to work. But it's not how it was before.
Maybe it's just my computer and not the forum, but figured I'd add it to the list while we're commenting on such things.

Anyway, still having fun hanging here with you all.
And no trouble looking in at all since the fix!

Thanks!

Paul

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Saturday 9:12am PST

When I hit "new posts" - nothing I've posted or commented on is listed. This is new since the update.
Correct. I believe it was never intended to work that way and the recent update "fixed" it. See my post 45 in this thread.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Understand....

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
This is what I get now when clicking "new posts", you can see there's new posts, and then active Posts below, 18 more pages of them. Prior to the update, only the "new post threads" would have appeared, so in this case less than a half of a page of them. Not a big deal whatsoever, but it is different than before the update.
I think the downtime messed with cookies, so when the forum came back up what it thinks is "new" to you doesn't match up with what you think is "new" to you.

I believe one fix is to mark all threads read. After I did that this morning the "new posts" works as expected and only shows me posts that are new, not the additional "active posts" list below.

Here's the link to "mark forums read". http://classicbroncos.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?do=markread

Just understand that if you do that ALL forums and posts will be marked as read and your list of "new posts" will start over as of today. That shouldn't be a big deal unless you plan on going back through pages and pages of past threads and want to still keep track of what you haven't ready.

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I think some of the cookies may have gotten their little heads skewered on wrong temporarily.
Along with the above, when I copy-n-past a link to a thread I'm participating in, it doesn't always scroll automatically to the most recent posts. Sometimes it's just taking me back to the beginning of the thread.
Paul,

Try the "mark forums read" link I posted right before this post. I did it this morning and my notification links are now taking me right to the new post in question.

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
And while we're on the subject of things changing (a "little bit" after the fact though), a couple of years ago (maybe quite a bit longer than that) when you were doing one upgrade or another, the BOLD text indicating I had not read a particular thread since new posts had been added, changed to standard text.
So instead of threads that I've read being standard text and new posts being indicated by BOLD text, it has been the opposite all this time.

Here again, maybe that's how it's supposed to work. But it's not how it was before.
That's a weird one. No, that's not how it's supposed to work and not how it's ever worked for me, including now.

Threads with no new info should be shown in standard text. Threads with new posts (new to you) should be in bold. Also, the little envelope icon to the far left of each thread should be red for new posts and yellow for no new posts.

Paul, can you post or email me a screen shot of what yours looks like?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 2

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ