• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
Finally!

For as long as there have been off-road vehicles they have wandered down the road. Wandering along...

If you have driven one, you know the feeling. The steering wheel goes two inches to the right, two inches to the left and then back again, while your vehicle stays in a relatively straight line. That is the result of your Tie Rod rolling forward and backward forward and backward again and again. That's simply because there is nothing there to prevent it from doing that. And early wear on tie rods simply because they are always in motion and torn boots because they have been flexed about a jillion times.

The Cure!
Camera%20Download%20All%20Photos%20until%2010-31-14%201279.JPG

This small piece of machined Delrin plastic has had a lot of thought put into it. So much that we decided it would be the First Ruffstuff product we patented! Used against only the face of our Y-Link Adapter or a common Y-Link Tie Rod. It gives a self lubricated,fixed yet slightly flexible surface for the Tie Rods to run against. The drag link does not flop forward or backward whatsoever yet in common usage it is allowed to roll which causes the steering wheel dead spot and allows for the tie rod roll.

Not all TRE's are created equal. Some have a long pin, some have a short pin. This product has been specifically made to work with a GM 1 Ton TRE. In some cases you may have to sand the outside surface to allow for a flush fit. You do not want a tight fit, you want a snug fit. It naturally has a grease pocket built in, this is meant to ride beyond the taper in place of the standard dust boot. These are made for 1 Ton TRE's and also work for 7/8" Heim Joints.

This product also goes great with our Offset Tie Rods if you also use our second pattented item, our Y-Link Adapter that you can find here Y link adapter 18TPI (TRE threading) - RuffStuff Specialties When using these 2 together you still retain the fine adjustability of a standard Tie Rod!

IMG_3153%202.jpg

The Cure! - RuffStuff Specialties

Last edited:

chuzie

Bronco Guru
People always tell me they like my Jeep. I snarl and reply with "Thanks" as there is no sense in trying to correct them. ;)

I run GM 1 ton tie rods. How much are these?

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
Apologies for it saying Jeeps. I was spreading it around the forums we market on & forgot to change it.

And to the common pedestrian, every SUV is a Jeep lol.

"Hey nice Jeep!"
"It's a Ford Explo.........nevermind"

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Is this most prevalent on the drag link? meaning I need to buy 2? Or do I need to buy 4 and one each for each TRE?
What do you recommend?
Thanks!

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
What needs to be mentioned here is that these products are for DOM steering setups, correct me if I'm wrong there R.S. I bought and installed these two pieces in my '66 EB. Looks good and is fine on the street. While I didn't go with this to cure the 2" steering issue (ram assist kinda gets rid of that), but moving from the, twice bent, F150 system to DOM steering tubes and one ton GM Tie Rod ends I had no place to land the drag link. This was about the time they came out with the adapter for the "Y" link and the white bushing. Connecting the drag link to the tie rod is now not a problem. I believe you can buy the white bushing to replace the rubber one without a problem. The rubber one I speak of is at the junction of the drag link to the Tie Rod (aka center link)
I do wonder if these with bushings would work on the tie rod ends? What do you think of that idea R.S.????
This next weekend at the Arizona Stampede will tell the truth of it's worth. So far it looks like it's worth the money.

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Email to and from the guys at Ruff Stuff. Placed order today...

Scott-

Yes, It looks like you do have a Y-Link steering setup, and again you are correct that it only goes where the drag link connects to the tie rod. These are specifically for improving street handling, it tightens up the steering and eliminates most of the 'dead spot' in the steering wheel input.

It should be a good fit for your vehicle and axle setup. \

Thanks for your interest in our parts!
Kyle

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 7:04 AM, Scott D. Russell <scott.russell@kimbledevelopment.com> wrote:

I am doing a resto/mod on my 66 Bronco. Read about your product, “The Cure”, on the Classic Bronco Website. I have a D30. Based on what I have read, I think I only need one of these to mount where the draglink connects to the tie rod. Based on the picture attached, would that be correct? If yes, do you think this product would benefit me? My rig will be for street use only, no off road at all. I will be running 31x10.5x15 all terrain tires. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
Sorry for no quick answers guys but I have been in the hospital. Give the shop a call with questions. I will say these are not for at the knuckles but only for the Y link hole. You need the movement at the knuckles for the Ackerman to allow the tire to tilt into the turn so using these there would stop that. At the Y link you can eliminate the roll by tying it to the drag link...

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Is this chevy tro setup an applicable candidate?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1428026282152.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1428026282152.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 301

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I just ordered this. I am switching from heim to one ton TRE next weekend. Just came across this just in time.

Thanks,
Hank