• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

Jack77

Thanks Broncoman1972 and Broncokak. That helped make up my mine to go for it. Are the two of you running the flashed computer from EFI Guy with no issues?

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I'm not. I did my swap back in 05 and converted everything back to mustang. My next one will be all Explore though.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
I did have Garry re flash my pcm but I am still working on the swap so can't speak for how it runs. I'm sure it'll be fine though. He's done plenty like mine for others here.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Thanks Broncoman1972 and Broncokak. That helped make up my mine to go for it. Are the two of you running the flashed computer from EFI Guy with no issues?

I'm have been running Garry's PCM in mine with no issues at all. It runs absolutely perfect. It's a DD and I have a few trail runs on it now. I have a 2" body lift with stock motor mounts. I had to lower the Explorer PS reservoir a little, and the coil packs mounted in the stock location, just barely rub on the bottom of the hood.

Mark

Jack77

Thank you guy's for the great feed back. It will help me out a bunch when I tackle this. Looks like I know what I will be doing for the next month or so.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
There have been a few threads about clearance in the tech section. It seems like every ones setup is a little different, but the bottom line is it's very close and there is no straight answer. The biggest 2 factors seem to be motor mounts and body mounts. If your body mounts are worn then I'd plan on a small body lift while you're at it since it will make things easier.

The two most common points that seem to interfere with the hood are the power steering reservoir (can be lowered pretty easily) and the TPS (especially the later style).

Jack77

Thanks for the reply, with everyone's great advice I feel a lot more comfortable doing the swap on my own. I will PM you when I am ready to have the harness and computer modified.

76_fordbronco

On April 26, 2014 I fired up my EFIGuy ignited 1998 Ford Explorer engine. I couldn't be happier with the outcome! Installing the harness was probably one of the easiest items on the "To Do" list, I had zero issues. If your contemplating EFI this is in my opinion the best option for you. It was for me.

Just 3 days after this video was taken, my bronco was cruising Moab at the Bronco Safari.

http://youtu.be/I6to2owCF94

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
On April 26, 2014 I fired up my EFIGuy ignited 1998 Ford Explorer engine. I couldn't be happier with the outcome! Installing the harness was probably one of the easiest items on the "To Do" list, I had zero issues. If your contemplating EFI this is in my opinion the best option for you. It was for me.

Just 3 days after this video was taken, my bronco was cruising Moab at the Bronco Safari.

http://youtu.be/I6to2owCF94

76_,

Thanks for posting the video, gives me some inspiration to get mine done.

Do you have any pictures of the throttle lever to cable connection and cable bracket setup. It looks like the cable is pulling 90 degrees off the stock explorer action.

tcj.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I did my swap last Nov. It's been running perfect ever since I first fired it up. I drive it almost everyday and have had it out on the trails a few times now. Other than the doubling of the horsepower, the other great benefit with this motor is no more heating issues. The motor and C4 trans run at normal temps, where as the carbed 302 would get hot very easily. The newer motor with EFI operates so much more efficiently. I've already forgotten how much of a turd my old 302 was, compared to this one.
I ran the stock Explorer throttle cable and modified the throttle body bracket just a bit. I'm not using the EGR, so I have the throttle body mounted right to the upper plenum. (No EGR 90* elbow) I'm using the stock Bronco pedal, and just adapted a cable to the pedal. I can use a bicycle brake cable for a spare throttle cable. It works with the Explorer throttle body end of the linkage.

Mark

Attachments

• 98 Explorer 5.0 053.jpg
    98 Explorer 5.0 053.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 467
  • 98 Explorer 5.0 050.jpg
    98 Explorer 5.0 050.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 433
  • 98 Explorer 5.0 052.jpg
    98 Explorer 5.0 052.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 443
  • 98 Explorer 5.0 051.jpg
    98 Explorer 5.0 051.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 447

76_fordbronco

76_,

Thanks for posting the video, gives me some inspiration to get mine done.

Do you have any pictures of the throttle lever to cable connection and cable bracket setup. It looks like the cable is pulling 90 degrees off the stock explorer action.

tcj.

For the throttle I used BC Bronco's Mustang setup. Works just as well on the Explorer as the Mustang. The 90 degree pull you are seeing is probably the progressive throttle pulley that Viperwolf1 designed. It allows for a slow throttle pull at the start of acceleration and then will open the throttle faster towards the end as you press further on the accelerator. It's snowing right now, I'll take pictures tomorrow.

76_fordbronco

I did my swap last Nov. It's been running perfect ever since I first fired it up. I drive it almost everyday and have had it out on the trails a few times now. Other than the doubling of the horsepower, the other great benefit with this motor is no more heating issues. The motor and C4 trans run at normal temps, where as the carbed 302 would get hot very easily. The newer motor with EFI operates so much more efficiently. I've already forgotten how much of a turd my old 302 was, compared to this one.
I ran the stock Explorer throttle cable and modified the throttle body bracket just a bit. I'm not using the EGR, so I have the throttle body mounted right to the upper plenum. (No EGR 90* elbow) I'm using the stock Bronco pedal, and just adapted a cable to the pedal. I can use a bicycle brake cable for a spare throttle cable. It works with the Explorer throttle body end of the linkage.

Mark

Glad to see that this can be done, I'll probably use it on my 74'. I needed the clearance on the 76' to fit everything under the stock hood.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I have a 2" BL and 1/2" plates under the motor mounts. The coil packs just barely rub on the hood brace. I have more than enough clearance under the idler pulley. I could remove the 1/2" spacers and not have the coil pack/hood issue. It hasn't been a big deal, so for now it stays.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Thanks for the kind words guys! Also thank you all for continuing too add tech and fresh ideas.

I do have a pretty slick option for coil packs that I may share in the near future, but I want to get some serious testing time on them first.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Thanks for the kind words guys! Also thank you all for continuing too add tech and fresh ideas.

I do have a pretty slick option for coil packs that I may share in the near future, but I want to get some serious testing time on them first.

Any updates on this Garry? I am getting closer to firing mine...

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Well, they have gotten me to work and back everyday this week (knocks on wood). Seems to run just fine, but I'm concerned about them potentially burning up the coil pack drivers in the PCM. I have only encountered 1 PCM failure, but it was the coil pack drivers that smoked.

I figure if they make it through next week and the thrashing I intend to put them through at the dragstrip on the 22nd then they should be safe to use.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I'll be up for a few more minutes. Just got a blank one from you....

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Subscribed.. I have a 98 Explorer AWD out back that going to be a donor for the 72 Halfcab rebuild.
So if I go this route my reworked factory harness can replace the new Bauman 4R70W harness i bought but have never unwrapped?

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Do we lose the ability to program shift points and manually lock the torque converter?