• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Line-X on POR-15...does it work???

71BroncoBoy

Loc.
Tallahassee, FL
Im painting my floorboards with POR-15 and the Im getting the whole inner bed Line-X'd does the line-x stick better to bare metal or the por-15???

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
It is probably not necessary to POR-15 first, unless you just want to. I would call your local line-x guy and ask him...if he doesnt know what POR-15 is, then go somewhere else b/c he hasnt been doing this long. The Line-x guy I am using said he would prefer bare metal to paint, he also said they could/would etch primer it, etc. The paint shop I have been talking to is going to etch primer it; they have worked with the Line-X shop on alot of projects, so they have a really good idea on what needs to be done to get it done right.

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
A friend of the family owns a local Line X shop. He was actually the first one that turned me onto POR because of the restorations he's completed. He POR'd his truck and Line X'd over it many years ago...he recommended it for our climate. If you are not concerned with rust, then prime it. It will stick regardless if it is prepped correctly. If you are concerned with rust, then you want the por down, period. The Line X will not stop rust regardless of what they try to sell you on. Trust me. If any rust starts, it's going to come right through the Line X, faster than the paint. A trailer manufacturer here set up a deal with a RhinoLine dealer and sprayed all the trailers, flats, enclosed, etc. in various places with Rhino on bare metal. All of the them are chipping like mad and rusting crazy, not from rock chips, the stuff is just falling off. Now there is crap loads of warranty claims and he his having them blasted, then POR'd and re-lined. From what I've observed out here (again, could be different in you climate), I def. not go bare metal. The POR is a small investment for a big return.

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
That's a legitimate question. Yes, it's terrible here. We have alot of humidity year round, especially in the summer...coupled with quite a bit of snow (luckily not this year) which creates the need for salted roads (the primary catalyst)...add in the dirt roads, typical rains, etc. The salty roads have been the destruction of most midwest vehicles for many years. Hence, the reason I POR'd my entire Bronco.