• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering box rebuild-quick ratio or not?

allen

I need to have my steering box rebuilt but was told by the rebuilder that they didn't know when they would get the quick ratio kits in, 6 days, weeks or months, no idea.
As my box is already out of the bronco I don't know what ratio it is, I know it wasn't quick, that's all.
My question is does it really make a difference? Should I wait? It's mainly a street bronco and light offroad.
Thanks
-Allen

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
The quick ratio uses a Astro 2wd. non-variable steering box for the guts that swap to the Bronco box. If I were you I would swap to a 4x4x2 box. You will get a stronger box and 4 turn box as a bonus. Very easy to do yourself too. http://www.wcb4x4.com/tech/diyrockcrawler.shtml
From what I understand PSC has the parts to do the Bronco box to a 4 turn box.

OP
OP
allen

allen

Neither PSC or West Texas off road have the quick ratio kits as of now, they don't know when they will have them

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How quick is quick? The 4-turn box is usually best. 6-turn is slow. 3-turn tends to be a little too fast. Are you looking at the 4-turn or 3-turn for quick ratio?

wesleydax

i went from a stock box to a quick steer. i dont offroad any mainly on road and gravel to light trails. i dont notice a big differance i just thought it would be the thing to do.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
For the most part I really enjoy the quick turn box.... going from 7 turn lock to lock to 3 1/2 turn was great.... the only time I don't like it is long slow turns at 60 mph on the freeway.... little twitchy. Off road it makes for an extremely responsive vehicle!

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a 3.5 turn box built, but had the tension increased. 4 turns is probably fine, but I'm used to faster turning boxes on my other cars. People say at speed a 3.5-4 turn box is too fast for a small wheelbase Bronco, but that's what current jeeps (as well as F150s, but they're longer) have so I don't see what the problem is.

OP
OP
allen

allen

Not sure if West Texas Offroad quick turn kit is 4,3 or 3.25 turn. I'll only assume mine is a 6, like I said its off the truck right now

bigjhoov

nobody
Well it's easy to tell how many turns it is off the truck. Grab the input shaft lightly with a set of vise grips, turn it either way until it stops, count the rotations it takes to turn the other way until it stops. It's that simple. I think the 4-turn 76-77 box is just about perfect for a driver, but anything is better than a manual box if you have big meats on it.

OP
OP
allen

allen

Well it's 5.5 turns, stop to stop. I just don't know whether I should wait or not.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I need to have my steering box rebuilt but was told by the rebuilder that they didn't know when they would get the quick ratio kits in, 6 days, weeks or months, no idea.
That's the same response I got from WTO and why I went with Lee Power Steering. Unlike WTO, Lee invests in the expensive gear required to do the conversion by purchasing in bulk in order to always have them available. From what I gathered, WTO won't do that and only comes about the needed gear as they get old/salvage boxes in which have them hence the "no idea".

I went with 3.5:1, drive like a modern day ratio... ;D