• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Transmission Troubleshooting

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
I looked in the FAQ's but did not see a C4 troubleshooting article. Here is my problem

Just put my rebuilt stock steering column back in, buttoned things up and went out on my first test drive in over a year. Shifted fine before, but now.....

1. When the selector is in Park it is really Reverse.
2. Reverse or Drive does not engage immediately and usually slips in and out of gear. Seems to improve with time as it gets warmed up.

Fluid level is normal when warm. The shift linkage from my column to the C4 seems real loose.

I don't have a clue what synchros are or anything else about how to adjust a transmission. I do not know anything about transmissions so please be as un-technical as possible. ?:? Thanks.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you need to adjust the linkages. Put the tranny in park or what should be park (block the wheels) ,loosen the linkage at the tranny and move it to the park position tighten up it should fix it.

72EB

Loc.
Hendersonville
Loosen which part of the tranny linkage, cause mine is doing the same thing. Pics please.........
Jim

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Unbolt the linkage at the tranny arm. Shift the linkage at the column into park then crawl underneath and shift the tranny into park by hand. once you are there, bolt everything back up. *This is a two person job, do not attempt this by yourself ;D *

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
MikeEB said:
*This is a two person job, do not attempt this by yourself ;D *

easily don't buy one person. just make sure and block the wheels so you don't run yourself over.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
So adjusting the linkage will correct the gear selection. How about the slippage?

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I be interested to see how it would effect the slippage. If all you did was rebuild the column than I would be inclined to say yes, but not really sure why or how. I would definitely start with getting things lined back up properly again and then go from there. It's easier to troubleshoot one at a time rather than take on multiple fronts.