• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mustang HO Cam in Explorer Motor

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I started a thread over at sbftech.com asking what I could do for a few more HP out of my Explorer motor. It came down to the following in order of biggest gains with least amount of effort:

- Install a stock Mustang HO cam (+20HP over stock Explorer)
- Install a Comp cams XE264HR-12 (+30HP over stock Explorer)
- Change exhaust to 3.5" single out (currently 2.5" in / 2.5" single out)
- Long tube headers with 1-5/8ths collectors
- New heads
- New intake

Anyone here with an Explorer motor have first-hand experience putting in a Mustang HO cam or other cam?

thanks,
Dan

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The HO and XE264 cams are fairly similar but it really depends on where you want the power the explorer cam will have better lowend than the others. I'd probably go with the HO you can pick them up cheap. Also keep in mind that the stock cam HO can make close to 400hp with the right components. Also seen the xe264 cam do the same thing no real overall power differance just a different power curve. Heads will be your biggest power gainer get some good heads and that will bump your power numbers up with any of the cams. Doubt I'd go any bigger than 3in exhuast with a 302 you'll loose more than you gain with anything bigger. As for headers good luck finding 1 5/8" long tubes the only ones I've ever seen were Hooker super comp fenderwell headers(they dont make them anymore) every now and then you can find a set though. I know if I ever find another set I'll grab them up as I really like them.
Overall camshaft swap will take the most effort, heads next, then probably exhuast.
As for manifold well that if you have the explorer manifold they are said to be good up to 5200 rpm or so and have way better midrange power than any of the others. So I doubt a manifold swap would net you any gain.
Really though it appears you need lowend with your rigs specs I'd probably just step up to a 351W

barronj

Bronco Guru
I started a thread over at sbftech.com asking what I could do for a few more HP out of my Explorer motor. It came down to the following in order of biggest gains with least amount of effort:

- Install a stock Mustang HO cam (+20HP over stock Explorer)
- Install a Comp cams XE264HR-12 (+30HP over stock Explorer)
- Change exhaust to 3.5" single out (currently 2.5" in / 2.5" single out)
- Long tube headers with 1-5/8ths collectors
- New heads
- New intake

Anyone here with an Explorer motor have first-hand experience putting in a Mustang HO cam or other cam?

thanks,
Dan
As far as install, you have to remove the intake to begin the cam R&R, so you might as well spend $100 on an intake & get two things done at once.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
unless you plan to run 6000rpm all day long, stick with the 2.5 inch vs 3.5 inch exhaust. Use your bucks elsewhere as mentioned above.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Explorer intake is about the best you can get. It is a cast version of the GT40. Few of the aftermarket intakes can outflow it and the ones that do only do it by a little bit. I was running an Explorer intake on the stroker 5.0 in the old Ranger project and it made good power past the 6k mark. Intake is fine.

Exhaust, where did you find a recomendation for a 3½" for a basicly stock 302? That is what I had sized for the stroker and it had heads, cam, etc that only ran good above 4,000 RPM.

Why are you chasing HP? Most everything you are listing can be good for HP gains, but those numbers are all at higher RPMs. And most all of that kills any low RPM power and drivability. Now if you are driving where you need HP (which is sand dunes, mud bogs, and drigstrips mostly) then you are going the right direction. If you are doing any trails, street driving, fuel economy, normal day to day type of use you are going the wrong way.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
the guys over at sbftech recommended larger exhaust only after the Y for the 2.5 into 1 muffler I have. Not 3.5" true dual exhaust all the way back.

I'm not necessarily chasing HP, just trying to get back what I lost from going to 41s. I am a little concerned I wont be able to keep the wheels spinning in the dunes this summer. I'm not worried about trails because I have 4:1 low with the Atlas.

I asked specifically about the Mustang HO cam because the guys at sbftech said it would ad 20HP and there would be no disadvantage.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might be true, and they certainly are more likely to have more first-hand experience with that detail than me, but I've found the Mustangs to be a bit "soft" on the bottom end in my opinion.
Granted, the gearing is typically taller in a car than in a truck, but still, they're a lot lighter and, given basically the same motor in most other aspects, I was never very impressed with their off-the-line feel.

Just a personal impression though. I've also driven custom built, custom tuned, stroker EFI engines with Mustang cams that had been advanced 6° and they were wickedly powerful down low.
TON of custom work though (as in, big bucks), so that's not apples to apples comparing, and every other component was optimized as well.

Paul

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
i run a stock 5.0 cam in a 351w. i think it is a little soft. sounds like you need a gear change more then anything

Broncobowsher

Total hack
the guys over at sbftech recommended larger exhaust only after the Y for the 2.5 into 1 muffler I have. Not 3.5" true dual exhaust all the way back.

I'm not necessarily chasing HP, just trying to get back what I lost from going to 41s. I am a little concerned I wont be able to keep the wheels spinning in the dunes this summer. I'm not worried about trails because I have 4:1 low with the Atlas.

I asked specifically about the Mustang HO cam because the guys at sbftech said it would ad 20HP and there would be no disadvantage.

You need torque, not HP for that. Gears woiuld be a better investment then speed parts. You need to make up the difference in the height of the tires, plus you also have the added loss of trying to get rotating mass up to speed. Torque (which can be cheated a bit with gear) is your friend here.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I looked up the numbers on my chart and the gears/tire diameter are not the problem. Compared to stock 28" tires and 3.50 gears you are actually now 5% underdriven in 3rd (direct drive). I think the problem may be due to the increased rotating mass and rolling resistance. The little 302 just doesn't have the guts to drive all that so well. It's probably particularly bad in 4th gear where the engine is only turning 2,000 rpm at 65mph. It may maintain speed ok but not enough HP to accellerate that rotating mass.

In this case I don't think the mustang cam is going to help. It doesn't make enough torque (and thus HP) in that rpm range. Above 2500 rpm it pulls great. Below that the explorer cam would be better.

Attachments

• ratio chart.JPG
    ratio chart.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I dont mean to make it sound like a dog - it's actually pretty snappy. Going up a grade in 3rd with the TC locked I have plenty of power and can accelerate. On the flats in overdrive, TC locked is no problem at all.

basically just wanted to see if there was some free get-up-n-go hidden somewhere that I could unlock with a part. but I guess not.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
basically just wanted to see if there was some free get-up-n-go hidden somewhere that I could unlock with a part. but I guess not.

Sure there is, just install a 393 Stroker. Seriously, you have alot of rotating mass, a 351W based powerplant is the next step. One of my buddies put a 393 in his Bronco this past spring. I havent been for a ride yet, but he claims that he can break the tires lose in any gear. Even a base 351 with the BCB intake adaptor (to keep your EFI setup) will get you quite a bit more torque than what you will do with the 5.0L--without spending a bunch of cash.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I dont mean to make it sound like a dog - it's actually pretty snappy. Going up a grade in 3rd with the TC locked I have plenty of power and can accelerate. On the flats in overdrive, TC locked is no problem at all.

5.38 gears in OD are like 3.50 gears (actually 3.58 gears, 5.38x.70). A 302 will not push a 41" tire with a 3.50 gear.

But as you mention, it runs fine in 1:1 (non-overdrive). that is because the 5.38 and 41" combo are about the same as a stock Bronco. If you want to run OD with 41's you will need some 7.70 gears or so. I think about 7.17 is about as low as they go without going into portals.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Junkyard F4TE full roller 5.8L = $250
Hone and hot tank = $185
Comp 35-308-8 cam = $288
Edelbrock RPM alum heads fully assembled = $850 shipped
gaskets, seals, rings, pushrods, etc = $300

Masive torque when done = PRICELESS

Granted, I've got an MSD billet TFI dizzy ($100 on CL) going in as well as GT40 upper and lower intakes ($346 shipped), 24# injectors, 72mm C&L MAF & A9L comp ($220 CL) but you get the point. Also gonna be spinnin' 40" tires or so.

Stroke the 5.0 or go 5.8 would be your next logical step in my mind if you're going to put ANY money into it...