• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Antenna

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
My antenna is shot. I have a new bezel set, but I don't have the actual antenna. Have any of you guys used anything else to replace the antenna part? Maybe just an aftermarket unit that fits?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I installed an aftermarket power antenna in the stock location. Works great.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Picked up an aftermarket at Pep-Boys and mated it to the bezel. Take your bezel w/ you and you'll see the one that fits. I'm running an aftermarket CD deck and the reception is pretty good.
Jed

HollywoodC

jedblake, I did exactly what you said, I either suck at matching pieces or it wasnt ment to be because my antenna set up didnt work.

phred, do you have a part number, place i can find the antenna you mentioned?

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
i used the pep boy's telescoping antenna.. works good when all the way up but works like crap when collapsed..

Thats what she said! lol..

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
No, it was a replacement universal antenna. I did not try to use the stock bezel as mine was pitted badly.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I put a junkyard Crown Vic power antenna (box body) in Frank's, and it works fine. The only trick is to cut a rubber hose so the bottom matches the fender shape to fill in between the paint & the antenna mounting nut.

Down . . . Up

The dash switch came from an aero body CV/GM.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I used and aftermarket one made by PM or Peterson it's a Black rubber about 18 inches and works great in the trees.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just came across this yesterday, so thought I'd bring this subject back up.
While looking through my most recent Peterson Manufacturing catalog, I came across part #95031 Ford replacement antenna. From their description:

"32: single mast polished stainless steel mast
Direct replacement for '73 to '91 Bronco...

Then it goes on to list several years of LTD, Capri, Crown Vic, Continental, T-bird and Cougar.

Not sure about the cars, and it does also say "fits any vehicle with flat surface that fits a Ford-style base, which is strange, but in the picture it's totally an EB angled flange base. Looks like it should work perfectly.

The main difference I see between it and a factory EB model, is the lack of the underneath bracing that bolts to the body for added support.
Might be worth finding a PM distributor though, and taking a closer look.

Haven't checked out the website yet, but in case someone's interested, it's www.pmlights.com

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well. looks like I should have done my due-diligence. Even though the catalog pic is the spittin' image of an early Bronco antenna, if you go to the website it shows the standard seventies/eighties Ford car and truck antenna.
Hmmm, wonder if it comes with two bases?

Oh well, they probably meant "73-'91 Truck" and "78-'91 Bronco" and not just Bronco.
Rats! Thought we had a winna!

Paul

OP
OP
J

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I have a base that looks like the bronco sloped base. It is looks to be the right base but it does not fit the fender in any configuration. It came with 2 black plastic spacers. , supposed to be NOS.
I'm thinking I may have a replacement fender that someone drilled for an antenna. I bought an auto parts antenna. It fits mostly.
I'm just not sure what's going on with this.
thanks
John

larryejoh

I took one from a 90 Taurus and grind down the chrome base to match the fender. It closely resembles the stock base. I went with the fixed mast or go could go with the power version.