• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fender Repair

ShowMeBronc

Loc.
Belton Missouri
Well I found a bronco covered with junk in a barn, got excited when it had no exterior rust or dents. Found out who the owner was, hoping this would be one of those steals you read about in the magezines and just went and looked at it. So.... the quarters are perfect,,,, untill you open the hood and they're basically rusted all the way down the strip that bolts them on. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to fix these quarters, in order to decide how much the whole thing is going to be worth to me. Thanks

Last edited:

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Sounds to me like you are talking about the front inner fenders / kick panels. Pretty common with a Bronco and not really that big of a deal to replace or repair. By the way .... nothing un-bolts :)

OP
OP
S

ShowMeBronc

Loc.
Belton Missouri
It's acutally the top strip on the fender that the fender bolts go through to mount 'em. It makes me sick these fenders are 90% perfect, then you pop the hood and that strip is trashed!

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Inner fenders or the piece you say the front fenders bolt to are very cheap about $25 per side but they do weld on. They weld to the ends of the kick panels and that area is usually gone. BUT the kick panels are strong enough that you can just weld a piece onto the ends of them so you have something to weld the inner fenders to. Replacing the kick panels is more work ... a lot more work.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
if that is all that is wrong with them...buy it cheap and then flip it for a nice $$

OP
OP
S

ShowMeBronc

Loc.
Belton Missouri
Not the inner fenders

I haven't really explained it right. There are about,,, oh 5 or 6 bolts that hold each fender on. Pretty much the same style bolts that hold the fenders on an early mustang. If you buy a set of fenders to swap, at some point you remove these bolts to take off the old fenders, and then throw 'em back on when you install the new fenders. This is the actual section on the fender it's self. The part of the fenders that fit under the hood, in which the bolts go through. Any ideas would be greatly apreciated. If I still can't get a proper description out, I'll try to get a pic on here. If that is the "inner fender" please confirm! I'm lookin' at Jeff's BG and it's showin' inner 1/4's and upper 1/4's but it's not really clear enough to tell? Thanks again guys, really appreciate it!

Last edited:

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
Sounds like the inner mounting flange on the fenders are what you are saying is rusted, they mount to the inner fender apron with 5-6 bolts per side. If thats the case you would unbolt the fenders, and if the aprons are still good, bolt on some new fenders. But my guess is if the fenders are rusted on the inner mounting flange, you will have more rust than just that to contend with when you tear into it.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
I believe the confusion came in your first post (and thread title) where you called them "quarters". If I understand you right, you are talking about the top edge of the front fenders and there is rust along that area underneath the edge of the hood, where the fender bolts to the inner fender. If so, then buying new repro fenders from one of the bronco houses is probably the quickest and cheapest route. If that is the only area of rust on this Bronco consider yourself blessed and snatch that rascal up. Might wanna peek under the carpet though ;) ;D

OP
OP
S

ShowMeBronc

Loc.
Belton Missouri
My Fault :)

Yep I totally screwed that one up and didn't even pay attention to it! Thanks a lot!! I couldn't figure out why I my point wasn't getting across;D Now I see! Think the lack of sleep is starting to show!! Thanks again!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
broncolove said:
But my guess is if the fenders are rusted on the inner mounting flange, you will have more rust than just that to contend with when you tear into it.

I concur, it's a pretty good bet that the rust has also invaded the inner fender fusing the two together and making unbolting the fenders virtually impossible. I had this same problem with a grille that looked perfect, but when I tried to unbolt it from the fenders, I found that they were rusted together. I ended up cutting through the fenders to get the grille, and later decided it was going to be way more effort than it was worth to try and re-use the grille.

OP
OP
S

ShowMeBronc

Loc.
Belton Missouri
Yep, I think it was probably going to be more work than it's worth. Maybe one of these days he'll decide to just give the whole '73 to me;D I can hope! I'm just gonna keep workin' on my '69. Got the top and roll bar off today. Also took off the dash pad, get'n ready to jump into some electrical! Thanks a lot for all the help so far, and I'm sure there will be much more to come!!