• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Remove body?

trentturner27

id like to thank all of you ahead of time for all the advise. i have been a member for a couple years and have done many upgrades to my 74 using all the great info on here... I just bought a 98 explorer 4wd and pulled the 5.0 and 4r70w. a have a wh 1" body lift still in the box im going to install and plan to on running new brake and fuel lines at the same time time. my question is would it be easier in the long run to remove the body, install everything and put it back on? the bronco is my daily driver other than a motorcycle so im hoping to get all my ducks in a row and get it done as quick as possible so im just trying to decide the most efficient route. thanks a lot

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
My guess is it wouldn't be worth pulling the body for what you want to do. It would definitely give you room to work but if this is your daily driver, pulling the body is going to add a lot of time to your install.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
For a dd. I'd get everything together all the adapters for the trans t case etc

and maybe even do the wiring harness and run the engine on the floor or something before you start the install.
To make sure it runs right
Should be able to strap it down and stick a water hose in it. Or use the rad from the exploder

I'd do the fuel and brake lines before you start the engine swap

The brake lines will take all weekend
And if you already have the wiring harness trimmed and after you test run the engine you could even go ahead and install the harness in the truck while the old engine is still in it

Id see if you can arrange to borrow a car or rent a car for the long weekend you plan to do the actual swap
In case it takes longer than you think

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
If that was my situation I would take a week vacation with a 3 day weekend at the tailend besides having everything ready to go. If you try to rush this swap, it will take longer than if you take your time. 'If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?'

Jim W.

OP
OP
T

trentturner27

thats the kind of feed back i was needing. i have never installed a body lift or had any reason to undo the mounts on anything so in my mind a was thinking since i was already going to have all linkages wiring and body mounts undone at one time or anther it might save time in the long run to pull it on off so everything was right there and easy to work on. but thats why im asking... i realize it will take longer than i think and ill probably run into some issues along the way. i can arrange other ways to get around during the swap but just wanted to stress i want to try to make it go as smooth and efficient as possible since it is my primary vehicle. thanks again for the input. any more would be greatly appreciated

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Not only that, but pulling the body can lead to other Broncoholic related symptoms like, oh that needs to be cleaned, well since I cleaned that part, I should replace this other one. Oh no no no... I can't have that, I just fix it and wouldn't it be nice if I put this over there, where is that welder. Honey, I have a Christmas gift, birthday gift and Valentines gift you can get me all wrapped up into one neat order package...

Where was I ?

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Not only that, but pulling the body can lead to other Broncoholic related symptoms like, oh that needs to be cleaned, well since I cleaned that part, I should replace this other one. Oh no no no... I can't have that, I just fix it and wouldn't it be nice if I put this over there, where is that welder. Honey, I have a Christmas gift, birthday gift and Valentines gift you can get me all wrapped up into one neat order package...

Where was I ?

Too frickin true. I was gonna pull the body, r&r the chassis and put body back on.

Turned into a full frame off resto mod, tens of thousands of dollars, and four years.

OP
OP
T

trentturner27

glad to hear that everyone feels the same. guess ill leave it on... for this project anyways;D. my next question if you dont mind my asking, i pulled the 5.0 trans and tc as one unit from explorer. i was planning on using zf adapter to my j shift d 20. is it even possible to mate it all up out of the bronco and get it in at once or is that more trouble than its worth.