• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil bath air filter service and restoration questions

norm02

Hey guys,

I'm planning on cleaning up the air filter assembly this weekend and I wanted to see if anyone knows how to either service the filter or what the correct replacement filter is. Additionally, I'm planning on sanding down the brackets and the filter housing and wanted to see what would the best paint to use when I go to respray it.

Thanks!

tortoiseracer

Loc.
Tempe
oil bath fun

What I have always done is to clean the mesh with gas or white gas. Rinse it until it rinses clean. Sit it in the sun and let it drain. When it is dry put it back in the oil bath. I usually clean out the oil pan the same way. I sometimes pour a little oil over the mesh before I put it back in the oil bath. Just let the excess run back into the pan. I think there is a fill line mark on the pan if I am remembering correctly. I usually use whatever I am using during the oil change at the time.
As far as paint. The only real luck I have is a catalyzed auto paint as the rattle can stuff over time comes off during the cleaning process.
Always a mess but soooooooo much fun.
Chris

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

What I have always done is to clean the mesh with gas or white gas. Rinse it until it rinses clean. Sit it in the sun and let it drain. When it is dry put it back in the oil bath. I usually clean out the oil pan the same way. I sometimes pour a little oil over the mesh before I put it back in the oil bath. Just let the excess run back into the pan. I think there is a fill line mark on the pan if I am remembering correctly. I usually use whatever I am using during the oil change at the time.
As far as paint. The only real luck I have is a catalyzed auto paint as the rattle can stuff over time comes off during the cleaning process.
Always a mess but soooooooo much fun.
Chris

Ok, so all that has to be done to the filter element is just clean it out? I haven't had mine apart so I wasn't sure if it had a replaceable filter or if it's one that is serviceable. Thanks!

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just don't do it in the garage next to the water heater.....

tortoiseracer

Loc.
Tempe
Yes, just clean it out. The dirt sticks to the oil that sticks to the filter material.The material looks like aspen cooler pad material to me. Its not packed in tight and don't disturb it or it might fall apart.
Chris

OP
OP
norm02

norm02

Yes, just clean it out. The dirt sticks to the oil that sticks to the filter material.The material looks like aspen cooler pad material to me. Its not packed in tight and don't disturb it or it might fall apart.
Chris

Took it all apart yesterday and drained the dirty oil out. I cleaned the bowl, (not sure of the technical name but its what the oil sits in) and lightly sanded the inside of it to remove some rust that had developed. I do want to make sure that I'm understanding everyone correctly when they say to just spray carb cleaner onto the element.

I'm not sure if the filter cannister (again not sure of the technical name) assembly can be taken apart more than I have, but it doesn't seem like there's an easy way to give the element a thorough cleaning other than spraying it down while the filter is still inside the canister. Thoughts?

tortoiseracer

Loc.
Tempe
Oil Bath Time Again

Yes, just leave the element intact. I don't care to use the spray carb cleaner as it seems to break down the material over time but hey, use what you want. Just be gentle with it as its 50 years old aspen wood. Just think, 50 year old swamp cooler, bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Chris