• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spindle bearing

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I tore down my D44 the other day and noticed that there is a needle bearing inside the spindle. I never saw them before and I cant seem to find them in any vendor catalog. Im replacing all my seals and I would like to replace these too. Anybody know where I can get these and how easy or hard they are to replace. Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
SBK-1 is one of the common numbers for a kit with the bearing and the small seal(s) in it.
Some brands use just BK-1, but something like that should get you in the ballpark.

Paul

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
They are easy to replace with a slide hammer and a socket. Wild Horses has some new bushings that replace the bearings and are supposed to last longer. May be worth a look.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and do a search on it too, for the different methods of removal/installation, and relative amounts of hair pulled for each. ;D

In my opinion, if they look like they're in good shape after a good cleaning, you're ahead of the game by just re-lubing them and leaving them in. If they're bad, replace them, but if they're still good, don't give yourself fits by trying to put new ones in there.
They're only in use while in 4wd, so don't get as much wear as other units do. They do get a lot of weather-wear however. Especially if not kept lubed.
I may be over-playing the drama a bit, but I've never had an easy time doing that job.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Thanks guys. I got ahead of myself and asked before I searched. Replacing them sounds fun. Lol. Im putting in new axles so I dont want old crusty bearing riding on my new shafts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since I have a spindle-luber, I don't have to do this, but when you're putting the spindles back on, I would pack grease in there pretty good. During installation the axle will push excess grease out the front, which you can then use for the wheel bearings.
This way though, the spindle is fairly full of good clean grease, and will keep your axle shafts and bearings more or less rust and gunk-free for years.

Paul

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you know I've never had any trouble replacing spindle bearings, done alot of them through the years. I use a brass punch with a lip on the end you would hit with the hammer. Drive it out and then use a press to install new one. HTH someone
frenchy

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you know I've never had any trouble replacing spindle bearings. HTH someone

Yes it does! Now we know where to go when we need some replaced.
Hey, spindle bearing replacement party at frenchy's!!! ;D

Paul

turbotim2

I just replaced mine and ended up using an old rear spring bolt with the nut put on it backwards. The lip of the nut will catch the bearing, hit it with a hammer and they came right out.