• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 Texas Pebble Beige

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
So I have done a few things to the bronco recently but mainly I've just been driving it and enjoying it before it gets super cold. Hopefully, I can get a buddy to come over and help me get the top on this week.

I got a new oil pressure gauge, and temp gauge installed... I should've just had my entire cluster redone when I got the truck. Oh well, I think everything is good now.

I put in a new retro sound radio but I haven't figured out a speaker situation yet. With the new harness and fuse box in the glovebox, there isn't room for a speaker so I have to get something else figured out. I also mounted a new antenna since my other one was just a metal rod dropped in the hole. I also got a new floor mat to cover up the patches I've done for now. Also wanted one for when the floors are new and painted.

Installed a new aluminum radiator from TBP that is the factory replica. Fits nice but I need to get new mounts. It fits tight but isn't as cushioned with the old dry rubber.

I used it around the yard today to clean up some fallen limbs.

chuckyb

Contributor
Great pictures! Nothing better than an old machine working.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Thanks guys! It sure was hard to toss wood in the back of this thing compared to my workhorse 52 GMC that I just sold. I will get used to using it for things around the yard tho. Another reason I wanted to get one that was original paint and not perfect!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Looks great. And it great that you are using it! Too many of these just set in a garage. Mine included!%)

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Took the bronco out wheeling in Uwharrie National Forest with the Carolina Broncos crew. They are a great group of guys and were so awesome at showing me the ropes and getting me and the 69 through some stuff I never imagined it could get through. Had a great time. I never expected to put her through the paces like we did but I enjoyed every second of it. I think all the other guys liked watching a stock bronco do a little off roading too. I was driving so I didn't get any action shots.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Okay guys, I have some thoughts in my head that I would love to get some opinions on. I went wheeling in the bronco and everything has started to come together with what I really want this truck to be. I am thinking I will do the following modifications but would love to hear others thoughts.

I want the truck to look visually stock other than a little added height and tire size.

2.5" Lift

31" Tires similar to Super Traxion style

Front ARB Air Locker for the Dana 30
Chromoly Axles for the Dana 30 (However I haven't found a source so if someone knows one specific for the early bronco let me know)
Yukon Ring and Pinon 4.11 for the front

Rear ARB Air Locker for the 9 inch
Chromoly 31 Spline axles for the rear
Yukon Ring and Pinion 3.50 for the rear

ARB Compact Air compressor tucked under the passenger side of seat

Rebuilt Transfer Case. Rebuilt Transmission

Complete vintage PTO winch set up

I've been told with a locked front end that power steering is a must. I've never experienced it so I figure I will see what its like without and maybe venture that route if it is as tough as they say.

elan

Loc.
s
Since I only do stock Broncos and FJ40's, I do indeed appreciate you keeping the Bronco in stock form. Love the color

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Okay guys, I have some thoughts in my head that I would love to get some opinions on. I went wheeling in the bronco and everything has started to come together with what I really want this truck to be. I am thinking I will do the following modifications but would love to hear others thoughts.

I want the truck to look visually stock other than a little added height and tire size.

2.5" Lift

31" Tires similar to Super Traxion style

Front ARB Air Locker for the Dana 30
Chromoly Axles for the Dana 30 (However I haven't found a source so if someone knows one specific for the early bronco let me know)
Yukon Ring and Pinon 4.11 for the front

Rear ARB Air Locker for the 9 inch
Chromoly 31 Spline axles for the rear
Yukon Ring and Pinion 3.50 for the rear

ARB Compact Air compressor tucked under the passenger side of seat

Rebuilt Transfer Case. Rebuilt Transmission

Complete vintage PTO winch set up

I've been told with a locked front end that power steering is a must. I've never experienced it so I figure I will see what its like without and maybe venture that route if it is as tough as they say.

Firstly, as mentioned above, the F&R gear ratio needs to be the same. You can figure out the best gear ratio if you are sure the engine/trans/t-case/tire size decisions are set.

All that set, I would urge you to really consider if that is what you want to do to this truck. Those upgrades will allow you to go further than you currently can, but certainly won't be able to keep up with most of the other trucks in the photos you shared. It's a bit of a slippery slope and I personally think the truck looks great as is and building it as a "semi-wheeler" will be a compromise you won't be happy with.

Also, the PTO winch is cool, is great for farm-type work, but has some limitations in serious wheeling situations.

Nitro-gear probably has the products you are looking for.

My $.02

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wouldn't go there. Why did you like the Bronco in the first place? Why does the CB community admire the pictures of your Bronco? Because it's modified? Like the thousands of others that's modified? Not so my dear!.... the exact opposite!!!

Your Bronco does everything you started out doing with it well and don't let an offroad ride with a wheeling crowd influence you to modify your Bronco. Modifications are like many other not so good kind of things. Once you start, it's hard to stop.

I agree with Fireball and this is just my .02 also, but look around and see the ratio of Modified ones to Original ones.....then you can understand the price strategy...

If you want a Bronco to wheel, those kind are relatively easy to find. By the way, Broncos are cheaper by the dozen!

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
What?? Get those thoughts out of your head...... You are about to turn a really nice survivor into “just another Bronco”. Why put a lot of money into it only to destroy its value? Buy something else to wheel and enjoy them both.

And if you own a sawzall, lock it up somewhere until you get over this.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
What?? Get those thoughts out of your head...... You are about to turn a really nice survivor into “just another Bronco”. Why put a lot of money into it only to destroy its value? Buy something else to wheel and enjoy them both.

And if you own a sawzall, lock it up somewhere until you get over this.

Funny! ;D

I can see both sides of the dilemma.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Modifying is definitely a rabbit hole you can get lost in just as restoring one is another hole to choose from. It's your bronco so do as YOU wish with it, but look around at others before making a finial decision. I myself want one of each. Sadly my banker wont allow it,Dang grand kids. ;D

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
You have a nice survivor of a bronco. Your list of mods are not crazy but like others have said they are only original once! I agree that if you are going to get into wheeling than a different truck may be the way to go. Go get a cheap jeep and beat the snot out of that, or a bronco already set up for off road. But it is not my bronco or my bank account so do as you please! and good luck!

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I totally understand everyone's thoughts and opinions towards altering this broncos current state. I totally get the stock thing.

I, however, feel that adding newer slightly taller suspension on the same style tires with stock steelies, and upgrading gearing and drivetrain wouldn't hurt the look or value of this truck. Aren't those upgrades just like adding an aluminum radiator, headers, dual exhaust, electronic ignition? I will never be cutting an additional hole in the tunnel for a transmission or twin sticks, and for sure the fenders will always remain. Of course, everything is still up in the air and there are many options and things for me to learn before I spend the cash and make final decisions. I have another bronco that I could build if money ever would permit but my ultimate goal is to build the 1969 into a reliable vehicle to drive across country and not be afraid to take the roads less traveled all out on my own unless I can talk some other suckers into a trip of a lifetime.

I took the bronco for a little jaunt out in the snow. And when I say little I mean little. They salted all of the roads around me so fast this time. A lot of people consider me to be in the "boonies" so it is surprising and disappointing they made such quick work of it. haha... I guess the Bronco will be in the garage for the majority of winter now.