• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 wheel drive vs All wheel drive?

ribbits

I'm looking at a 97 Mountaineer all wheel drive to buy for a eng/trans conversion in my 75 Bronc.. I read where you have to do a bunch of work to the automatic transmission if the doner vehicle doesn't have 4 wheel drive? The one I'm looking at is a 5.0 w/auto and all wheel drive. Will the x-mission require that end piece to be changed out or is it the same as 4x4? Will be connecting to a NP205..
Thanks

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The problem is that some people say 4wd when they should say AWD.

AWD is what you should be looking for.

There are no 4wd Explorers with a 5.0L, only with the V6.

Quick & Dirty

AWD is full time, no low range. 4x4 has low range.
5.0 with AWD has the correct transmission to bolt up a NP205. Need to make clearance for the shifter and keep an eye on the front driveshaft to pan rail clearance.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Here is a pic of a 4R70W notched for clearance of the NP205 shift rods:

Attachments

• 4R70W notched for NP205.jpg
    4R70W notched for NP205.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
ribbits

ribbits

AWD is full time, no low range. 4x4 has low range.
5.0 with AWD has the correct transmission to bolt up a NP205. Need to make clearance for the shifter and keep an eye on the front driveshaft to pan rail clearance.[/QUOTE

Thanks to all! When you say "pan rail clearance", are you referring to the oil pan as it relates to the front drive shaft? If they hit do you raise the motor mounts? Will that still work with factory hood? Also, just wondering what you guys think about the following? I found one 97 one owner (I know him), great interior, with 220 K highway miles on it. All works and runs well but it's two wheel drive. The price for it is $1500 bucks.. The other is a 97 all wheel drive showing 189K but who knows for sure? The interior is trashed, it has a lot of oil on the engine on the dipstick side because the dip stick was broken and allowing oil to blow out? With my hand slightly above the oil fill opening, it appears to have some blow-by coming out until I place my hand firm down over it and then it seems to develop some suction? I drove it around today and the x-mission seems to shift out good but the engine has a dead skip when idling but not so obvious when driving? The price on this one is $500
Ant thoughts?
Thanks ahead and hope to some of y'all at Townsend later this week?

OP
OP
ribbits

ribbits

Guess I should have said that the $1500 one is a 5.0 explorer, and the $500 one is a Mountaineer AWD 5.0 I believe they both have the GT40 heads.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Guess I should have said that the $1500 one is a 5.0 explorer, and the $500 one is a Mountaineer AWD 5.0 I believe they both have the GT40 heads.

GT40 heads were a mid year switch in the 1997 model year.
Look at the door tag to see when it was made.

OP
OP
ribbits

ribbits

GT40 heads were a mid year switch in the 1997 model year.
Look at the door tag to see when it was made.

The explorer is July 97, I will see what the Mountaineer says.. What month would have the GT40 heads?