• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mis-matched gears

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's funny...my brother and I took his Toyota out in the snow/ice when it had the 4.88/5.29 gear mismatch and it was the same thing. You couldn't go straight if you wanted to, with or without the ARB's locked. It was like driving a shopping cart, loaded with bowling balls down a flight of stairs...scary at best, downright dangerous at worst. I'm not sure how those mud/sand guys make it work, but my guess is that they're carrying/skimming their front tires as much as possible with 1600 HP and comp cut Boggers or paddle tires.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I test drove a fullsize Bronco with mismatched gears. It was very clear within a few feet in 4wd that there was a serious problem. The term "Bucking Bronco" fit very well. Once stopped the drivetrain was so bound up I had a hard time getting it back in 2wd to drive it back. Then the seller tried to convince me that when you put the t-case in 4wd you are supposed to unlock the front hubs. %)

That Bronco didn't follow me home. Mismatched gears in 4wd is a no no.