• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

To Cut or Not.. Front Inner Fenders???

matt w

Bronco Guru
My truck runs NOT HOT 95% of the time!

It gets hot only in two settings.

#1) On hot days when climbing slow grades, i.e. The back way to Big Bear from Lucern Valley.

#2) On slow trail runs with other people on hot days. I.e., Climbing up Gold Mountain with 10 plus other people. You know how it goes, everyone stops, and then starts and so on, no air flow at all.

I have changed themostats. I have installed a new radiator, I have installed a new water pump.

I am thinking of cutting the front inner fenders to allow more air flow.

What are the negative reasons why I "should not" do this?

I live in dry Southern California and do not do mud runs,,,so what is the downside to this?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Might want to try some other remedies first.

I've been fortunate that I've never had cooling problems. Got my stock radiator recored with a 4-tube core 15 years ago, and been good ever since. I do, or did, run all the stock stuff (7 blade Ford fan, shroud, water pump, pullies, etc) with the original 302 and the 351. I did replace the stock shroud with a sheet metal one, and did install a Flowcooler waterpump when I rebuilt the engine and added the EFI.

A few years ago I did install a RAD. That thing that covers the space from the top of the grill to the top of the core support? I think I noticed maybe a 5° change in temp when I did that. But it might be worth a try. Since you live in such a dry climate, you could test it out with some cardboard and duct tape.

I looked in your Gallery but couldn't tell what fan you're running...

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Matt, I am about to cut my inner fenders and add perforated panels back in to keep rocks and junk out. I ran for years without overheating. This year for some reason I started overheating on slow trail runs where there is no airflow. I would say that something like the Bailie Built panels couldn't hurt.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
well to all....I cut the passenger side and am going for the drivers now!....;D

HoldMyPocket

Loc.
OC, CA
I haven't had inner fenders at all for nearly a year now with no issues. I have some that I can bolt in but have never found a reason to.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Follow the pinch weld...awesome modification that's basically free.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Now you can actually get to all those things in the engine bay that normally are a total hassle! Resist the cutesy inserts ;D

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Now you can actually get to all those things in the engine bay that normally are a total hassle! Resist the cutesy inserts ;D

.......YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I was staring at it in unbelief,,,Thinking WOW I can now get to stuff so easily!;D

As far as inserts.....I will make my own our of 1/8 or 1/4 inch hardware cloth with a few pop rivets.....I doubt I will do anything though until I find if I have a problem..if no problem...no hardware cloth!;);D

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X3 on easier access to everything, I could change my plugs without opening the hood.;D

I'm glad I cut mine out but my truck still runs hot.:cry:

u10072

Bronco Guru
If your 302 runs hot I have to believe in all honesty you need a multi prong approach-- decrud your engines water jackets a couple times, replace the waterpump, replace the radiator or get it professionally done, and run a coolant mix to protect from cold weather on the minimun side-- water is best for cooling--distilled is the best route and fairly cheap. Run a fan shroud (go metal) and mechanical fan. If all that doesnt fix it you have a mechanical issue like a small head gasket leak or something. The 302 shouldn't ever run hot and if it doesnt run hot in AZ it wont anywhere else.

Worst part about cutting the inner fenders now is you notice the engine more and it makes you want to make it sexier looking-- but thats a good thing :)