• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gasket Sealant Dry Time

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
I just replaced the thermostat housing gasket today as it started to leak (and a new housing...not that crappy chrome one). It has now sat on my EB for about three hours with no fluid in the system. About how long should I let the seal solidify before I put some fluid in and start her up? Thanks guys, I would really love to fire it up later tonight.

OP
OP
commonlaw

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
Bumpity....

Ants in the pants, I am hoping to drive it to the Built to Spill concert in an hour but don't want to act too early.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What did you use as a sealer? generally I use a very thin coat of RTV on the gasket slap the housing on and fill it with coolent and start it right up. Never had a problem.

OP
OP
commonlaw

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
broncnaz said:
What did you use as a sealer? generally I use a very thin coat of RTV on the gasket slap the housing on and fill it with coolent and start it right up. Never had a problem.

Not sure the brand. Just a small brown tube of gasket sealant. It seemed pretty gooey so I assumed it needed a bit to dry. Can you tell that I don't really know sh!t. LOL. Maybe I will give it a start in a sec.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Should be ok sounds like permatex gasket sealer as long as the housing is tight I wouldnt worry the gasket should be all thats needed to keep it form leaking. the sealant usually just helps seal any imprefections in the sealing surfaces and is not really needed.