• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 Intake manifold bolt torque spec?

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
I'm attempting to solve an intake leak problem that I believe is keeping my engine from idling like it is supposed to. When I removed the manifold the bolts on the drivers side were barely finger tight. (Hummm, maybe that was my problem)

The Chilton's manual says to torque the bolts in two steps 50-60 ft lbs first in the sequence specified then 80-90 ft lbs in the same sequence. The problem is I have broken two different bolts now trying to get to the first setting of 60 ft lbs. Is this the right torque spec? What grade of hardware should I be looking for to replace my busted bolts?

Thanks,
Greg

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think it depends on the manifold and the bolt. I think those are 3/8 bolts and I doubt they are meant for that much.

I did mine to 28 ft lbs (it called for 25 but it seemed lite so in defiance...) and have no leaks. Just keep re-torquing in the same sequence intil they are set. I must have followed the sequence at least a dozen times to get them tight.

I also bought some good bolts from ARP and have an aluminum intake.

I think maybe the head bolts take the torque #'s that you mentioned above.

Cooter_76

I was just looking for this info on the Edelbrock website yesterday. I beleive it said 18-24 ft. lbs.

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
Just did my 4 bbl intake last week, 18 - 24 as stated. The torques you listed look more like head bolt specs.

Paco

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
In Chilton's book, #7140, pg.97, intake manifold specs 19-27 ft.lbs, depending on the year.

In Ford's 1974 truck shop manual, intake manifold bolt torque...20-22 ft-lbs

OP
OP
grs44310

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
Paco said:
In Chilton's book, #7140, pg.97, intake manifold specs 19-27 ft.lbs, depending on the year.

In Ford's 1974 truck shop manual, intake manifold bolt torque...20-22 ft-lbs

Ok that makes a heck of a lot more sense for a 5/16-18 bolt. Thank you for the help guys!