• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serp. on a 351W

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I was gonna ask the same question but my 351 also has a 4-bolt balancer and a dual return Saginaw ps pump for hydro boost

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I was gonna ask the same question but my 351 also has a 4-bolt balancer and a dual return Saginaw ps pump for hydro boost

You can use the explorer setup with hydroboost. With the remote reservoir you just tee the return lines, works great. Ran it for years like that. Also there are balances with multiple pulley hole options. If you need room up front the explorer setup works almost everywhere.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just remember you're going to have to lose the mechanical fuel pump if you're still running one. And figure out the proper damper.
The best way I think is to have the Explorer damper re-balanced. Or maybe someone makes a 4-bolt pulley that will bolt to your existing one if it does not stick out too far.
The problem with the dampers is that Ford made so many different styles with different offsets. Some are going to be compatible with the Explorer ones better than others. And some not at all.
Hence my suggestion to re-balance the Explorer damper from it's native 50oz imbalance factor, to the 351's 28oz imbalance.

What did you do for yours Hozr? What have the others here done?
Oh, and do you need a different length belt or anything like that?

Paul

Dlish

On my 351, I have the serp setup (from Sandman in the classified), and used the Powerforce 28oz damper that BC Broncos sells. Then got the bolt on serp pulley from Driven bronco parts. It aligned fine.

Other option is to send the explorer damper to Damper Dudes in Cali and have them rebalance it to 28oz.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Or Damper Dudes has pre-cut/balanced Explorer harmonic balancers ready to bolt on your 351 Windsor.

That's what I did.
Eazy
Peazy

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
or you can use a stock 28oz bronco 3 hole damper, transfer the timing marks to the other side of the damper and buy the driven pulley. to transfer the timing marks to where you need them, just line up the keyways on the dampers and mark the zero from the expy balance to the bronco one ans then install a timing tape. works well, that is what I did

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Crush is a bit smarter than me as you can see.
Lol
But my way was pretty darn easy.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
All in all, a straight forward swap. Actually a bit easier on 251 as you don't have to worry about clearance for the lower idler pulley...So many advantages, you won't regret it

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I'm not mistaken there were not very many Fords that used the passenger side inlet for the water pump that the Broncos used. In fact, it wasn't that long ago that some aftermarket radiator companies used to call the opposite the "Ford" orientation and what we had originally as the "GM" orientation for the radiators themselves.

The Explorer front drive system is the last hurrah for the Windsor stuff and is the best. But it uses pretty much everything unique. Timing cover, alternator, water pump, power steering pump, damper, all were unique to the Explorer only if I'm not mistaken.
The later trucks used a similar power steering pump, but there were variations and I don't think they were the exact setup as the Explorer.

In other words, it's all Explorer and you pretty much don't use anything original from the old engines, or any other drive system. Other than the modified dampers the others were talking about.

Paul