• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel efficient engine swaps???

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
JPalmer has an LSx in his and claims over 20mph. I'll see if I can get him to chime in...

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
Yup, I am running a stock 5.3L out of an '02 Suburban, weight is close to 5k, lifted way up there, & still rock over 20MPG on the freeway with around 375HP on tap. Flame suit on as usual guys. ;D

BTW the rig is looking good Devin.

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Yup, I am running a stock 5.3L out of an '02 Suburban, weight is close to 5k, lifted way up there, & still rock over 20MPG on the freeway with around 375HP on tap. Flame suit on as usual guys. ;D

BTW the rig is looking good Devin.

You will get flamed but...
Anyone can build one. The trick is to build one better.
Post pics!

72-Madisyn

Loc.
Medford
all this talk about fuel mileage, I drive my bronco more times then not because it gets the BETTER mileage then my truck. Plus driving a bronco is driving a bronco. Mild built carb 302, average is about 14mpg. for me that is. 33in tires, 411 gears. In the process of a EFI swap, shall see where I end up then I guess, hope it just gets better.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i heard of someone running an exploder 4.0 with the AOD or 4R70W, whatever it was, here in so cal. i still haven't seen it, but heard the guy has plenty of power and very dependable. can't say what mileage he's getting.

can tell ya this, keep the speed down a little. on my way home from FFF, i was watching my gauge drop as i was doing about 72mph. at 65 it's a lot better.

red71sport

Loc.
Knoxville, Tennessee
What? better mileage out of a Bronco. Carful now, I think it's law in most states that every single part of owning a Bronco HAS to be expensive. Even @ 10MPG, it's still a Bronco, and still LOOKS better than anything else on the road. Build the yota conversion, and post a lot of pics. If it's cool let us know.

Devin,
I don't know you, but I just spend 5 min. starring at you engine. Nice!

What is the scuba tank looking thing in the bottom left corner? Nitrous tank?

OP
OP
grox

grox

Loc.
Broomfield, CO
Thanks guys! A lot of really interesting ideas here. Keep em coming.

I'm starting to realize that an early Bronco might not be the best choice for a commuter. But as far as being expensive, try restoring classic Alfa Romeo GTV's! Thats what I've been doing for the last 10 years. From what I can tell, Bronco parts are cheaper, and much easier to find.

I'm leaning toward leaving the stock 302 intact, but who knows. How about a Bronco tub on a Toyota frame and drive train??? Now I'm really going to get kicked off :)

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like you need to do this swap and let us know but I really doubt you'd get into the 20's your still trying to push a box. Doesnt the yota barely get mid 20's with small tires as is? want to test it mount a sheet of plywood to the front of your yota and see what mileage you get.
While weight does play a factor its still wind resistance that plays a bigger part.

My new 85 Yota pickup gets a solid 22mpg average city and hwy with 31X10.50s. If I ever find a nice clean Scout 80 I might give it a go. The drag issue is only a factor at highway speeds. It could be a low cost topless weekend trail cruiser.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've got a 4.0 in my 03 ranger with 4.11 gears and 30 in tires gets about 21 mpg on the hiway. Its rated at about 210 hp. But is no wheres near as torquey as my bronco. Doubt it would see any mileage improvement once planted in the bronco. I currently get 17mpg with the bronco.
Most of the small engines need to rev to make there big power numbers. They make good power for a light weight car but stick one in a heavy bronco wind resistant and the power is gone unless your on the pedal where they wont see and good mileage numbers.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru

I'll flame you how is a 375hp 5.3L stock? maybe 275-320hp but not 375.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
What? better mileage out of a Bronco. Carful now, I think it's law in most states that every single part of owning a Bronco HAS to be expensive. Even @ 10MPG, it's still a Bronco, and still LOOKS better than anything else on the road. Build the yota conversion, and post a lot of pics. If it's cool let us know.

Devin,
I don't know you, but I just spend 5 min. starring at you engine. Nice!

What is the scuba tank looking thing in the bottom left corner? Nitrous tank?

Thanks for the comments. The tank is for my on board air setup.

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
I'll flame you how is a 375hp 5.3L stock? maybe 275-320hp but not 375.

No problem, glad to explain, probably a mis-understanding of what "stock" means to me. Stock 5.3L Flex Fuel (bigger injectors) is 315HP, I have all emissions removed, intake, headers, exhaust, & a custom tune. That is still a stock motor to me. ;)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well then its not exactly stock now is it? Even if you consider it stock its not.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Ford is putting an ecoboost v6 in the 2011 mustang, 3.8 or 3.9L 305h.p., supposed to get 30 mpg.
Hmm.. I wonder how hard it would be to wire.....

That engine isn't boosted - It's naturally aspirated. The new V6 for the Mustang is awesome. 300hp and rated at 31mpg highway.

I picked up a commuter car - 2002 Focus SVT - on the highway I'm getting 32-34mpg, city is around 27-29mpg. Only cost me $6400 and it's a fun little ride perfect for driving to/from work. (I drive ~24,000/year)

I'd rather keep the Bronco fun than efficient.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Cost of the conversion would come into play but how about a 3.0 powerstroke diesel? They're in the brazilian rangers (international motor here). Probably easier and definitely cheaper to get your hands on a 4bt. There's also the liberty turbo diesel and the mercedes greasers too. My guess is that you can buy a lot of gas for the cost of the conversion. If you really want to save gas, get a weekday commuter - little old honda or similar - pick it up for 1000 - gets about 45 mpg and don't worry about the EB. On a 100 mile weekly commute - at 12 mpg you will use 417 gallons of fuel or about $1250. At 45 mpg you'll use about 111 gals or $333 ($3/gal). I've got a 40 mile daily commute - it doesn't take long for a commuter/beater car to pay for itself.

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I don't think you can just pull a motor out of a more efficient car, transplant it in a Bronco, and expect it to have anywhere near the mileage of the doner. Weight and aerodynamics kill the mileage. Also, the Bronco drivetrain is made for a lot of abuse but has too much drag to be economical. Just compare the difference in size of Ford 9" bearings and gears to those from a late model 1/2ton pickup. The old parts are huge and have a lot more drag.