• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radio Antenna

66fora69er

Contributor
Does anyone have a recomendation on a good replacement for a stock antenna, possibly something rubber like that wont get ripped off on the trail?

Also, the wife bought me a radio for the eb (she's a good girl) and it will be going into my tuffy console. any install advice would be appreciated

Thanks

gtownky

Loc.
Cynthiana,KY
I have been thinking about going with a small boat antenna on mine and fill in the hole the org antenna hole. My pontoon has a small flat antenna that is stuck to the inside if the console with double sided tape. I think it would fit nicely upunder the dash. Its about 12 inches long and half inch wide and a little thicker than folder. Just an idea for ya.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I picked up a Taurus antenna with it's recessed base. Looks like the reverse of a Bronco base. It's a single, solid mast, like most external antennas these days.
Figure if it takes a hit bad enough it'll just bend and I can bend it right back. Don't know how well/easy the base will mount, but I'm going to give it a go.

Paul

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
I would base at least some of my selection on how far away from the radio stations you are. The radio stations here are about 50 miles away so I have to use a decent antenna to pick anything up.

I like the isuzu trooper windshield mount antenna and that is what I am planning on going with.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Can't you just collapse the antenna down when on the trail?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a great point. I'm changing mine though because I never liked the overall reception and just wanted to try something more modern and less trouble prone than a multi-sectional mast type.
All my subsequent antennas, were multi-sectional, but didn't retract all the way into the body like the stock one did, so they all had springs. Never had a problem with forgetting to lower it and breaking 'em off, but they couldn't pull in many stations right here in the middle of radio-land central.

Paul

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I used my stock antenna but ran it under my dash behind the glove box. It doesn't need to be exposed to pick up a signal. Works great for me.

There are other "ribbon" like antennas that you can run inside your windshield above the rear view mirror too but they're a bit pricey.

OP
OP
66fora69er

66fora69er

Contributor
Can't you just collapse the antenna down when on the trail?

The one that came on my 66 is on a spring base and might survive. And to be honest I havent missed radio when on the trail...havent even had radio up to this point. the antenna is off the truck now and I was debating on whether to weld that hole up or find something to stick in there. Thanks for all of the suggestions

albino

Loc.
Sacramento area
I run a flexible rubber coated antenna that is about a foot and a half long. These can be found at Kragen. I have never had reception issues with it.

74creamsickle

Loc.
Perkasie.PA
I have been thinking about going with a small boat antenna on mine and fill in the hole the org antenna hole. My pontoon has a small flat antenna that is stuck to the inside if the console with double sided tape. I think it would fit nicely upunder the dash. Its about 12 inches long and half inch wide and a little thicker than folder. Just an idea for ya.

That is the antenna I use. It is up under my dash. It is also an amplified antenna so reception is good. I like the look of the Bronco without an antenna.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
I followed SACHEM's lead and used one from an Isuzu Trooper. Instead of being fender mounted where it gets ripped off by trees, the Trooper one fits along the edge of the windshield frame. It works great.

Tech article here: http://classicbroncos.com/tech/isuzu-trooper-antennae

Thats the article I read and the antenna just looks like it belongs there. These antennas can be had for new off of ebay for less than $15 shipped, too.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru

How does it perform for you? My experience with the older cheapy hidden antennas was never very good. And that could have been the fault of the antenna, OR the particular cars that they were buried in too.
I wonder if there would be any advantage to putting it up high, like hidden behind the wiper cover or up under the headliner in a hard top?

The Isuzu type (similar ones are also found on other cars as well) is nice too, because you don't even have to get out to put it down. On the trail if you forgot to put it down ahead of time, it's just a matter of reaching out the window.

Paul

7bronco6

Loc.
PA
How do you like it?? Also where did you mount it under the dash??

How does it perform for you? My experience with the older cheapy hidden antennas was never very good. And that could have been the fault of the antenna, OR the particular cars that they were buried in too.
I wonder if there would be any advantage to putting it up high, like hidden behind the wiper cover or up under the headliner in a hard top?

The Isuzu type (similar ones are also found on other cars as well) is nice too, because you don't even have to get out to put it down. On the trail if you forgot to put it down ahead of time, it's just a matter of reaching out the window.

Paul

I have the tuffy console so I have it running under the bronco and then coming thru the passenger side and then up along the corner of the windshield. It is suppose to be mounted away from metal, I maybe have it half a inch away? There's two wires on it, One is the antenna and the other is a remote turn on. They said some need the remote hooked up, some don't. I couldn't get it to work without the remote power.

I haven't had to much time to tinker with the location but overall I'm pleased with it. Sometimes the signal isn't has good as I think it should be. But I think it has more to do with where I have it mounted and having it run along side other power/battery cables(rear battery).

Pipehitter

Loc.
Clintonville WI
When I bought my 1975 bronco from the original owner, there was NO antenna, was this an option back then. At least I dont have any hole to fill. I plan on putting an amplifier under the seat and conntecting it to an IPOD to keep the dash clean.