• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

full width axle swap advice...

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
I have a line on a D44/9" combo out of a 1978 Bronco. The front is open with 4.88 gears and factory disks. The rear has a Currie 9+ center section, 4.88 gears, a spool, and factory drums.

First question: is the 78 Bronco a good donor as opposed to other years?
Second question: what do you think is a fair price for such a set up?

I tried a search, but the misses is beating me up to get off the computer already!

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
yes 78 is a good year

i'd say $600-$700 would be a fair price. course for $1000 - $1200 you could get you a set of full width one tons!

-cutts-

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only drawback to the D44/9 axles out of the 78-79 big-broncos and F-trucks is that the front D44 have the cast wedges instead of welded variety. If you're going to wrist the housing, this is a good thing. If you want to link it or move in the C's to match the EB frame width, it's a lot easier IMO to find a 76-77 axle with discs and the welded C's.

Price will depend on condition and location. I bought a running 76 F150 4x4 for $600 off of Craig's list in order to steal the axles out from underneath it along with a few other parts. If the gears are the ratio you want, and you also want to run a spool, then they're worth more to you versus somebody who doesn't want those things.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
A set of axles off a 78-79 Bronco up here in the NW go for ~ $400, $500 for the whole rig. I used a 78 (click the link in my signature of the big 12 inch for more details). I kept the wedges as they were as I didnt mind the width and I was going to use CAGE arms anyways, worked like a charm. I redrilled my coil cups in an inch and centered them to match the spring resting spot, I have a little bow but not much. I am very happy with my setup, only happier if they were 60's ;D