• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ididit Steering Column Install + Stock Wiring Harness

nosaj2k

Loc.
Green River, WY
I recently purchased and have partially installed a new Ididit tilt steering column for my 1970 Bronco (floor shift). I am now to the wiring portion and am a bit reluctant to start splicing wires until I feel more confident in what I am doing. I have found many threads addressing this install with a Centech or Painless harness, but nothing that discusses connecting to the stock wiring. Believe it or not, the original wiring in this thing is cherry, so I did not feel the need to upgrade (plus my electrical ability just plain sucks). I was able to gather a wiring diagram for my application courtesy of this forum, but I am still a little confused. The original column had two plugs connecting to the original harness: One two way plug for the rear turn signals, and one six way plug for the front turn signals/signal flasher/brake. I guess my questions are as follows:

1.) My emergency flasher switch currently resides in the original location on the dash. The new emergency flasher switch is integral to the Ididit column. What do I do with the existing wiring to the original switch? I would assume that I connect the existing emergency flasher to the new column plug somehow?

2.) What about the horn? I could find no information within the wiring diagram addressing the horn.

Damn I'm confused. The scary part: It probably doesn't get any easier than a 1970 Bronco. It's not like I'm working on a 2009 Lexus...:mad:

If anyone has insight/tips they could share concerning this install it would be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
'70 Column Connections
Blue=12v from turn flasher to turn switch, circuit #44
white-blue=right front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #2
orange-blue=right rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #5
green-white=left front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #3
green-orange=left rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #9
red-black=12v brake switch to turn signal switch, circuit #810
yellow=12v headlight switch to horn switch, circuit #460
blue-yellow=horn switch to horn, circuit #482

'70 Hazard Connections
red-white=12v from fuse panel to hazard flasher, circuit #383
white-red=12v from hazard flasher to hazard switch, circuit #385
white-blue=hazard flasher to body connector (ties to RF turn light terminal), circuit #2A
green-white=hazard flasher to body connector (ties to LF turn light terminal), circuit #3A
red-black=hazard flasher to column connector (ties to brake switch output), circuit #810A

The horn circuit on the '70 column uses 2 wires and no relay. I expect the horn circuit on the new column uses only 1 wire along with the column ground. In that case you'll need to add a relay. Easy to do and '73 and later EB's used this type horn circuit.

The '70 hazard switch can simply be unplugged at the switch or even left plugged in if you want to have 2 working hazard switches. All the switch is doing during operation is shorting the left, right, front and rear light outputs together along with the 12v from the hazard flasher. You will need to run 1 wire from the hazard flasher output to the new column. If you want to remove the existing switch wiring you will have to move a couple wires.

If you need any more help feel free to email me. If you send me a scan of the new column wiring I can tell you exactly which wires to connect.

Attachments

• 70-71exterior-color.jpg
    70-71exterior-color.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
OP
OP
nosaj2k

nosaj2k

Loc.
Green River, WY
'70 Column Connections
Blue=12v from turn flasher to turn switch, circuit #44
white-blue=right front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #2
orange-blue=right rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #5
green-white=left front turn and indicator lamp, circuit #3
green-orange=left rear brake and turn lamp, circuit #9
red-black=12v brake switch to turn signal switch, circuit #810
yellow=12v headlight switch to horn switch, circuit #460
blue-white=horn switch to horn, circuit #482

'70 Hazard Connections
red-white=12v from fuse panel to hazard flasher, circuit #383
white-red=12v from hazard flasher to hazard switch, circuit #385
white-blue=hazard flasher to body connector (ties to RF turn light terminal), circuit #2A
green-white=hazard flasher to body connector (ties to LF turn light terminal), circuit #3A
red-black=hazard flasher to column connector (ties to brake switch output), circuit #810A

The horn circuit on the '70 column uses 2 wires and no relay. I expect the horn circuit on the new column uses only 1 wire along with the column ground. In that case you'll need to add a relay. Easy to do and '73 and later EB's used this type horn circuit.

The '70 hazard switch can simply be unplugged at the switch or even left plugged in if you want to have 2 working hazard switches. All the switch is doing during operation is shorting the left, right, front and rear light outputs together along with the 12v from the hazard flasher. You will need to run 1 wire from the hazard flasher output to the new column. If you want to remove the existing switch wiring you will have to move a couple wires.

If you need any more help feel free to email me. If you send me a scan of the new column wiring I can tell you exactly which wires to connect.

Viperwolf1 -

Thank you for your detailed expert input - this information will help immensely! I have provided a link below to the instructions included with the Ididit column. The second page of this document shows the connection wiring details. Additionally, I sent you a PM with this information.

http://www.ididit.com/tech_instruct..._basic_instructions_universal_tilt_column.pdf

THANKS AGAIN!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ididit Connector--------------Bronco Connector
G-black to horn--------------to horn relay (see diagram below)
H-Light blue to LF turn-------green-white (2 wires, connect both)
J-royal blue to RF turn-------white-blue (2 wires, connect both)
K-brown to hazard 12v-------white-red from hazard flasher (new wire)
L-purple to turn flasher 12v---blue
M-yellow to LR turn-----------green-orange
N-green to RR turn-----------orange-blue
P-white to brake sw 12v------red-black (2 wires, 1 goes to old haz sw)

The ididit instructions say there is an extra wire for the horn but I didn't see it on the connector diagram. I would just add a relay like shown here. It uses the original yellow and blue-white wires from the Bronco.

Like I said earlier you can leave the old haz switch and wiring as is or disconnect it.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 230
  • column_basic_instructions_universal_tilt_column.JPG
    column_basic_instructions_universal_tilt_column.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 228
OP
OP
nosaj2k

nosaj2k

Loc.
Green River, WY
SWEET!

I thank you again for all of your help. Hopefully I can be equally as helpful to you in the future (although probably safe to say NOT with electrical related issues). I might also mention that the Ididit column did come with a horn relay -

Thanks again!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
It don't get much better than that, Viper is the MAN.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Naw, I just have a knack for reading diagrams. I'm a total maroon at everything else.

derol

Loc.
Santa Cruz
I hope you don't mind revisiting this post... After a lot of searching, it's been helpful so far, HOWEVER....

None of my G**D*** wire colors match up to any wiring diagram I've found yet, or to the ones listed in this post.

Here's the colors I have (1971 BTW):

Blue/Yellow
Light Blue
White/Blue
Green
Green/White
Yellow/Black
Orange
Red/Black

As far as I can tell (or know), it's a stock harness?
Basically, I've got 5 mystery wires...
After about 5 attempts of trial and error, I can't seem to find the right combo. It was fun testing it out and seeing my right front, and rear left blinkers going. But, I think it's time to ask for advice.

Anyone know what these wires do?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It should have the same colors I listed above. I had one error in colors above but I corrected it. Are those the colors in the column or in the harness connected to it? Do the column and harness colors match?

derol

Loc.
Santa Cruz
It's an Ididit Column... but the wires I listed are the ones in my harness.
It's really bizarre. Looking at a 73 diagram, I found a yellow/black wire that looks like a left rear? I'm stumped.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's an Ididit Column... but the wires I listed are the ones in my harness.
It's really bizarre. Looking at a 73 diagram, I found a yellow/black wire that looks like a left rear? I'm stumped.

OK. Your harness may have been replaced. If you have all the other wiring in place you can test the harness fairly easily.

3 wires bring 12v into the column; 1) horn power, 2) brake switch, 3) turn flasher. Those should be easy to find and distinguish with a voltmeter or test light. Horn power is always there. Brake power is only with brake pressed. Turn signal power is always there unless you pull the flasher out.

The remaining wires are the 4 corner lights and the horn. Jump 12v to each one to see what lights up or blows.

derol

Loc.
Santa Cruz
Thanks, man! Thats gonna help narrow it WAY down, just knowing what those 3 wires do.

It had to have been replaced at some point. I was just browsing some later model diagrams, and I'm finding similar colors, like the yellow/black, and solid green, but who knows if they're even correct?

Nothing is ever easy. Nothing worthwhile, anyway.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I'm doing this same swap and have an issue with the Hazards. I hooked it up exactly as suggest above by tapping the white/red wire off the back of the stock switch. Now when I use the new switch on the Ididit column, you can here the clicking of the hazards...but the lights do not flash. Any ideas?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm doing this same swap and have an issue with the Hazards. I hooked it up exactly as suggest above by tapping the white/red wire off the back of the stock switch. Now when I use the new switch on the Ididit column, you can here the clicking of the hazards...but the lights do not flash. Any ideas?

Where did you connect the end of the new wire, one end to the white red and the other end to what? Clicking means current is being pulled through the flasher. No lights flashing means that current is taking a shortcut to ground somewhere.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Where did you connect the end of the new wire, one end to the white red and the other end to what? Clicking means current is being pulled through the flasher. No lights flashing means that current is taking a shortcut to ground somewhere.

I connected it to the Brown wire off the Ididit harness which was in the "K" slot.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I connected it to the Brown wire off the Ididit harness which was in the "K" slot.

Ok. How do the turn signals work with the hazards off and did you try the old hazard switch on the dash?