• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cleaning out an old gas tank

tbuhrman67

Loc.
Council Bluffs IA
i have a 67 bronco and i need to clean the rust and sediment out of the main gas tank. what is the best way of doing that? Doing it yourself or taking it to a radiator shop.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
To save you some heartache, try using the search function to locate your answer. What I did was take it to a radiator shop and had it boiled out, but there are much easier ways I am told. Someone mentioned putting marbles in the tank and shaking it to break loose any rust. I'm too lazy for that and it came back very clean from the radiator shop, so I'm happy. I painted the thing with POR 15 when they were done with it and it looks new. I hope this helps.

67ster

Bronco Guru
I had a tank that sat for several seasons and the pickup became clogged with rust and debris . I used a 5' length of chain and some rust remover to get most of it loosened up. I then took it in and had it boiled out at a radiator shop . I used a sealer afterwards and so far it has held up .

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
You can also use pea gravel and shake/roll it around in there real well. My dad did that to a gas tank on an old Oliver tractor we used to have and it worked real well.

Worth

Loc.
Cape Cod , Mass.
I use loose nuts and bolts, and some diesel fuel. Add contents and shake, rattle and roll. Works pretty good. Cleans the nuts and bolts up at the same time. :)