• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

trans pan gasket

gladrich

Had my transmission rebuilt many years ago. I found that it was leaking fluid but the place that rebuilt it went out of business soon after the rebuild. Trans works fine but theres always trans fluid under the truck. The gasket does look a little askew and I am thinking about changing the gasket but I am not sure if it is an easy job...drain oil, remove cover, remove old gasket, install new gasket, install cover, fill with oil. Never done it before. Looking for some advice. Thanks.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Leave a bolt loose in one of the corners of the pan so you can pour the fluid out of the opposite corner into your drain tray. A little less mess than having everything drop at once.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Possible pitfalls the nut holding the dipstick tube. use proper wrenches here as once you crush the nut your screwed. Once you get the nut off the pan it will drain out the fluid so be prepared.

The reason its leaking is either the nuts are too tight and bent the lip of the pan or the gasket is junk. I prefer once piece thick cork gasket that has not been packaged bent. You will need to make sure the bolt holes and transmission flange is flat. You will most likely have to massage the pan lip flat.

Tighten the bolts when you reinstall with a nut driver by hand over tightening will cause a leak again. Do not use silicone sealant on the pan gasket. silicone inside an automatic tranny is a big no no. I glue the pan gasket to the pan with Gasgacinch nothing on the tranny side.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...vtargid=kwd-3005708661&ref=pd_sl_9avadsjq2t_e

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/C4...MI77f0ndfT2wIVB1p-Ch3y8wR-EAQYASABEgJsyfD_BwE

JSBX

Contributor
While you have the pan off anyway might as well change the filter. Watch out for the pin and spring that will drop out when you pull the filter.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Last time I did mine I got a cork gasket from eBay, it was packed flat.

Filter can be changed , but it's just a screen and not so much filter.

You will make a mess.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hotrodjohn

cork!!!! and a flat pan around the edges. or get a lube locker gasket, but they are expensive

cs_88

Bronco Guru

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Make sure your leak is from the pan gasket before pulling it.
Most of the time it's one of the two shift shaft seals.
The shift shaft has two seals. one hat requires the removal of the pan, and one that is an o-ring that can be replaced by simply removing the shift shaft from the tranny. Either of these will drip on the pan flange, making it look like a leaking pan gasket.

OP
OP
gladrich

gladrich

Thanks for all the good advice guys. I really appreciate the input!