• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hubby in Iraq- want to fix up the Bronco while he's away would appreciate any advice

CPT_D_1969

Loc.
Yongsan, Korea
Hello to all you Bronco enthusiats. My Hubby just went back to Iraq to finish his year deployment. While he was home on R & R, we purchased a 1969 Bronco. It runs well, but needs some work. I want to get it ready for him while he is away as sort of a welcome home gift of thanks for my hero. I am looking for some advice on what all I should do to get this baby ready for it's Daddy. I have some pictures I could email to anyone who is interested in volunteering their time and expertise. I have no experience in this type of thing, but would really like to get this squared away by the time he returns in January. I look forward to hearing from you all and getting some suggestions. Some of the things I know I need to do are to get it painted (not sure what to pay here), get some more comfortable seats (looking for interchanges or whatever is best), and get some brake work done. You really have to put the pedal down to get it to stop. I am not sure if that is normal on these models or not. We are wanting to take a road trip when he gets back and I would like to be able to take the Bronco. He had such a great time driving it while he was home a few days. Thanks-from an Army wife who is in a little over her head- ?:? Melissa

loewermx

Loc.
Alexandria
What kind of budget are you on?

Like I said, I am also a newbie but I will be glad to help in any way possible.

Scott

OP
OP
C

CPT_D_1969

Loc.
Yongsan, Korea
Well, I probably have close to 1500 a month for the next 5 months. I got an estimate on the paint and body work with the addition of a 3m rubberized undercarriage coating(?) for 2000-3000. I feel like an idiot when I go get estimates and stuff because I know nothing about this stuff. I don't want to be taken advantage of because I know nothing.
Thanks Again,
Melissa

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Wow-you are a great wife. Best of luck in what you're doing for your husband.

Hopefully, one of the members on here that is close to you geographically can give you a hand with the shop work. Keep us posted!

BTW-God bless you and your husband for his contribution to our national security :)

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Welcome aboard! What a wonderful wife! You've definitely come to the right place. There are a number of guys on the board here that are in Arkansas that are knowledgeable with broncos. Im sure they will chime in when they see the thread. Again, welcome to the board and best of luck with the bronco. If you'd like, send me some pics to bc18100@yahoo.com, and Ill post them here on the board so that we all can have a look at what you are working with

OP
OP
C

CPT_D_1969

Loc.
Yongsan, Korea
Thank you for the blessing we have put this whole thing in God's hands. I know in my heart that he will bring him home safely.

kps74 bronco

Loc.
south jersey,medford
I cant fix it from here but post the prices you are getting and we all can help you out.Nothing worse than someone with a good heart getting taken .I hope the hubby,my brother and everyone over there is safe and on there way home real soon.Ken

Red Bronco

Loc.
Los Angeles
Welcome to the family Melissa..you are on the rigth place, most of the members have a lot of experience and can guide you, after seen the picts we will have a better idea.

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
wow, thats the same way i bought my bronco, when i was home on r&r from iraq. let me tell you that this is the perfect place be if you need help. there are tons of great people on here. you sound like a great wife, my wife is great to, but she didnt surprise me with a fixed up bronco. youll have one happy soldier/hubby for sure. welcome aboard and lets see soem pics!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
melissa, first thing i'd concentrate on is getting it safe. if the brakes are rock hard, it sounds like it's probably still drum. see if you can find somebody around you that can do a disc brake conversion. that should run well under $1000.00 for parts and labor.

what kind of shape is the body in?

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Here are the shots I got from Melissa. If its not too much trouble, shoot some pics of the engine bay, door posts and floorboards. The last two can be trouble spots.

Attachments

• body.jpg
    body.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 1,264
  • driverside.jpg
    driverside.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,039
  • passside.jpg
    passside.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 890

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I second a disc brake swap (power). It makes it an entirely different truck. Personally I would swap a D44 from a later bronco and disc that. Hydroboost is a nice inexpensive route for power brakes

My next suggestion is to replace all the original bushings with polyurethene (If it has not been done already)

next would be a power steering swap (get the truck into the 70's at least)

Next I would go through the truck with a fine tooth comb to fix any mechanical troubles that may exist. A nice shiny rig is great but if it dosent work properly what good is it? Get it as comfortable and reliable to drive as possible.

if it still has points ignion I would convert it to electronic. Fuel injection would be a great step up but that can get expensive quick.

After all those things are done I would start thinking about body and paint.

Click on some of the links to the left (toms, james duff, jeffs graveyard, BC broncos, etc.) go through the catalogs and see what appeals to you. Its very possible to spend a insane amount of money quick.

I dont know if you intend on doing your own work or not. I would suggest not going to a "4wd shop" unless you really want to pay shop rate of $60+

Military towns are filled with guys(you should know that lol) find someone that is a shadetree mechanic type. There are plenty of people out there that will do quality work cheap. You are not working on a lexus here its as uncomplicated machine as possible. Drive around, find some modified 4WD's or hotrods, talk to the guys who own them. Tell them your story they might be able to direct you to someone reputible.

thats my thoughts for now.....

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
looks like you are going to need a set of fender flairs. those tires look pretty small(and car like), a set of 31's would make it look much better without getting into trouble anywhere else.

Looks like there is some damage in the grille and fender, that will add to your body costs.

we need more pics. All the way around, every angle possible, every where you can think

do you have a top for it?

OP
OP
C

CPT_D_1969

Loc.
Yongsan, Korea
on the disc brake conversion, should I buy the kit and then have it installed? If so, what one would be best? I will call around on Monday and see who could do that . Thank you for the advice. I can't wait to get some brakes on there that are easier to use. I thought they might just need adjusting.

marko

Loc.
Marietta, GA
Best of luck to you, Melissa! This truly is a wonderful thing you're doing for your husband.

As you're now aware, the people here are fantastic and very helpful.

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
CPT_D_1969 said:
on the disc brake conversion, should I buy the kit and then have it installed? If so, what one would be best? I will call around on Monday and see who could do that . Thank you for the advice. I can't wait to get some brakes on there that are easier to use. I thought they might just need adjusting.

it depends on what you think he is going to do with it.

the axle that came with your truck (dosnet mean its the one in there) is a dana 30. They are not the strongest axle out there. Fine to drive with on the street or some mild 4 wheeling. Nothing wrong with them but they are just not the most popular/ best.
The later broncos (71 on) came with dana 44 front axles. they are a much better axle and were used on many other makes (easier to swap discs on from junkyard parts) the very late broncos (76-77) came with discs factory.

it all depends on where you want to spend you money. Personally if I am going to build a axle a little I want to make sure you have a good foundation.
They make kits for both axles.
I would check ebay or the classified section here for axles first. For the price of a boxed up conversion kit you can have a nice used axle ready to go.

if you can find a deal like this one....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7988236607

I would contact the guy see if he still has it. you will need to check your gear ratios to make sure they are the same if you go this route

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
if it does have a dana 30 axle, you'll need to do a chevy disc conversion. nice thing about that is it can be transferred to a dana 44 if he decides to upgrade (if it doesn't already have one). you can find these kits on ebay for around $400.00 to $450.00, or find someone who has used parts.

i'm a mobile mechanic in so cal. when i do a disc conversion, i charge a flat rate of $200.00, plus mileage. any good mechanic should be able to put one of those kits on in less than 3 hours, i can do it in under 2. as i said, way less than a grand, total.