• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 valve adjustment???

mike

Loc.
Dorris, CA
i just recentlt installed a new cam and lifters, now do i have to adjust the valves or not. i couldnt find any thing in my motors manual. (its a 302) any help would be great. thanks

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Almost positive it is a hydraulic. It also depends on the year, but I am pretty sure that all you have to do is bolt the rockers down and go. Not like a SBC where you have to dick around with the valve adjustment!!!!

71moore

Loc.
CHA TN
You adjust by bumping engine, untill one rocker is up and one is dn and is just starting to go back up.<br>tighten nut while turning pushrod untill you can't<br>move pushrod anymore,then tighten one and three quarters turn/bump engine and do the one next to it<br>just do them in pairs no certain order. (turn pushrod with fingers) :D ;D 8)<br>

G

It is messy but it works,after you get every one "snuged" but not over tightened, have somebody start it whih a valve cover off looosed the adj nut till you hear it start to click, then tighten it till it does not click any more and 1/4 turn no more, then move to the next one and on and on, you can use tin foil if you get a lot of oil spay. it is messy.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Need info what type type of heads do you have? does it have screw in studs ? do the rocker nuts look like they are self locking? most stock 302's do not have adjustable valves so if you just rebuilt by the manual it should be good to go if you are getting valve noises then you may need to check with the cam manufacturer to see if they have a shim kit or a kit to convert it to adjustable style

dji

Get an old valve cover and cut out the top. That's what I did. Take the original off and use the cut out one to adjust your valve train. With it running back the rockers off just until they click. Then turn them in 3/4 of a turn. Replace the valve cover and go to the other side. Works great!