• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trans

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yea, A LOT of us have.

NP435 is the easiest choice. You keep the original clutch, bellhousing, crossmember, driveshafts, etc. You cut a hole in the floor, bolt it in and go. About the only fabbing really needed is rebending the shifter to clear the dash. How it drives, well very much like the 3-speed you have now but without the linkage jamming. But you get a wonderful granny gear as well.

The ZF adds an overdrive. But adds a lot more work to install. Hydraulic clutch linkage is nice, but adds more work. You don't use the original crossmember. Transfer case is relocated, new driveshafts.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ditto
I really like the NP435 it works well for me. I have a ZF sitting in my shed but I really dont feel like putting money into swapping the axle gearing right now just to have OD. So the 435 will stay as with my current axle gearing and tire size Ive got a slight OD gearing.

OP
OP
M

mudslut

Loc.
chandler indiana
Ok thanks for the input guys. I have both trans sitting around and was curios. I will swap in the 435 . I was leaning that way anyway cause I've ran them in all my 70's model pickups and they are darn near bulletproof. So toss in 435 and sell the zf5

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
That should make for a pretty much free 435 swap. I cant bring myself to sell my ZF I figure I may swap it in some day.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
ZF is alot newer trans shifts as close to a sports car as you can get you get to go with really low gears......its what i always wanted till my wife made me go auto but tomorrow my swap will be complete 435 is great till you go "damn i wish I had more gears".

a 435 with 36-37" tires 4.11s if it ever hits the hwy still needs a 5th....ZF same setup can go down to 5.13-530 gears and end up with a lower final drive ratio than the 435 with its super low first gear....and cruise the interstate

I vote ZF!

OP
OP
M

mudslut

Loc.
chandler indiana
Well that was a bust I pulled my three speed and found that the bell housing will mount up and fit clutch but that is all. The d20 will not mount to it without a 400 dollar adapter then a new output on trans. If I really wanted to use 435 then I could mount 205 transver case but then I would have to by transverse case and have drive shafts redon cause over all length that way is 3 1/2 inches longer. So cheapest route is ordering kit for floor shift for 3 speed. Just sucks I pulled it and then had to put it back in. So looks like 435 and zf5 are for sale

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thats why you sell the ZF to pay for the 435 adapter. while I hate to say it you should have checked out the links section there are links on most transmission swaps. theres not much thats a direct fit in a bronco without spending some money.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Ditto
I really like the NP435 it works well for me. I have a ZF sitting in my shed but I really dont feel like putting money into swapping the axle gearing right now just to have OD. So the 435 will stay as with my current axle gearing and tire size Ive got a slight OD gearing.

Im curious what gears are you running with your 33's?

66broncofan

Contributor
3 on the floor

Don't pay full price for the shifter set up if you do it! I have one that I uninstalled with the power train from my 66 and you can have it for 75 bucks shipped. I've already patched the hole where it was. I'll get some pics of it if you want.

Well that was a bust I pulled my three speed and found that the bell housing will mount up and fit clutch but that is all. The d20 will not mount to it without a 400 dollar adapter then a new output on trans. If I really wanted to use 435 then I could mount 205 transver case but then I would have to by transverse case and have drive shafts redon cause over all length that way is 3 1/2 inches longer. So cheapest route is ordering kit for floor shift for 3 speed. Just sucks I pulled it and then had to put it back in. So looks like 435 and zf5 are for sale

TAC71

Contributor
I installed my first np435 way back in 1985. Absolutely loved the combination. I went to the zf in 1998 and loved it that much more.
A 435 with the right axle gears for the tires used is a great setup, even considering the dump truck nature of the shifting.

66broncofan

Contributor
ill snap a few pics probably tonight. Its still bolted up to the trans and probably dirty. It's a Hurst shifter and has the tunnel cover too that will need to be sanded and painted to match to your taste right now it has a sealer on it as i was going to bed line it. Shoot me a pm with a phone or email I can send pics to.
66broncofan, that would be great if I could see some pics. And 75 sounds like a deal

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Im curious what gears are you running with your 33's?

I run 3.50 gearing it works well with the 435 and my engine. got the low granny for offroad 2nd gear is slightly lower than a stock 3sp and the OD effect puts me at 2700 RPM at 75mph. where if I swapped to 4.11 gearing RPM's would be at 3200 at 75mph.
Only on very steep grades do I wish I had just a bit more gearing but overall it works well. rarely need to down shift on hills. I think mostly due to my engine.