• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3.5 lift or 4.5 lift 35 or 36 inch tires

ProjectBronco70

Loc.
Tennessee
I don't want to beat a dead horse to death (no pun intended) but I am debating which type of lift to put on a 3.5 inch or a 4.5 inch. I will not be adding a body lift. My tire choices are probably going to be 35 or 36 inch. I am trying to avoid having to lengthen or add new driveshafts. I will probably be using my rig for 80% street and 20% trail.

Merlin76

I have 3.5" suspension and 2" Body lift on mine with 36" Super Swampers....

71 BRNCO

I greatly debated this same question concerning what size lift and tire to choose. I ended up purchasing a 4.5" lift. I went with 4.5" BC Broncos front Coils, 4.5" Wild Horses 11 leaf rear springs, F-250 front shock mounts, and cross enterprises rear inboard shock hoop. With 33's the truck has to much lift and didn't look right to me, so I upgraded to 35" Goodyear MTR's. I think that I am going to slap a one inch WH body lift on to finish the package. I have standard flares but with warflares I think I could run 36's and still have good clearance. my truck is a street truck so no need to go bigger then 35's .No pictures here at work right now, maybe I can get you one tomorrow or something. Let me know if you have any questions.
Kyle

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
ProjectBronco70 said:
I don't want to beat a dead horse to death (no pun intended) but I am debating which type of lift to put on a 3.5 inch or a 4.5 inch. I will not be adding a body lift. My tire choices are probably going to be 35 or 36 inch. I am trying to avoid having to lengthen or add new driveshafts. I will probably be using my rig for 80% street and 20% trail.

if you dont want drivetrain mods then a 3.5 or more susp lift will need longer shafts if you plan on flexing any offroad and i wouldn't go any more than a 3 inch body lift but that alone still won't fit 36's unless you own a body saw. i have a 3.5 and 2 inch body and will be going with 36"

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I'm running a 3 1/2 suspension lift ( bC front coils and WH leafs). I am running 35 inch MTRs. My cutouts use all that the gorrilla warflares allow without bending them. THe fronts are fine, but the rears rub hard when I get twisted up. This is with the lowered rear bump stops. You'll get the same thing with a 4 1/2 inch suspension lift unless you limit the uptravel. My suggestion is to go with the WH 1 inch body lift bushings, and a 3 1/2 inch lift.
Tom

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I have 5.5" suspension lift, no body lift as of yet(that may change because of engine/hood clearance) Check my gallery to see how well my 35x14.50-15 Boggers clear even when flexed...the suspension is still tight and doesn't flex great, but I have had no problems rubbing and I still have not cut the fenders out, I just pulled the stock flares because they were shot and haven't put any others on yet.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
I ran 5.5" of lift with no driveshaft changes at all and I wheeled the hell out it. I since did a tranny tcase swap that did require new shafts, but I have found that in most cases you don't need to get new driveshafts. Most parts houses recommend it because it allows them to make some more $$$.

I know run 4.5" BC winch springs up front and 5.5" National springs in the rear. I sit completely level, and ran this setup as well with stock shafts before my drivetrain swap.

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
I have a 5.5 inch lift and I had to change my driveshaft in the rear. But then again these trucks are 30 years old and theres no telling what PO have done to them... everyone is a little different now.