• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF 5 Spd and NP205

JCook5003

I've been searching and reading posts about installing a ZF transmission into an EB and install a NP205 transfer case into an EB, I have an NP205 Transfer Case and can get a ZF transmission for about $200 in the yard in town, seems like the NP205 should bolt right up to the ZF and would eliminate the D20 weak link and the $500 adapter kit.

So has anyone ever done this? What else do I need to consider, other possibly a custom cross member?

Also will I need anything new to go with the ZF or will it bolt right in? I read something somewhere about a new master cylinder but dont understand why you would need that to go with a new transmission.......

Hope to get some good advice from everyone here.

Thanks

Josh

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
The 205 should bolt right up. You will need to build a custom cross member for it though and work through the linkage to build a new shifter (Perhaps twin stick it). If you can get a 4WD ZF for $200 jump all over it. The master cylinder you need is for the clutch not the brakes. The ZF uses a hydraulic rather than mechanical clutch. This requires a clutch master cylinder on the firewall and then a slave cylinder on the tranny with a hydraulic line between them. FWIW, I was considering this swap at one point but I planned to do a 203 doubler at the same time.

OP
OP
J

JCook5003

So can you offer any advice on which master cylinder should work, should I grab the one off the donor truck or do I need an aftermarket part?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Make sure its not a 2WD ZF. Thats all I was able to find around here. The tranny rebuilders/remanufacturers tend to get them well before the trucks ever hit the yard. Good luck. Check out BC Broncos, they have some parts for adapting the ZF into a Bronco (crossmember, slave/master cylinder kits, etc.).

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
JCook5003 said:
So can you offer any advice on which master cylinder should work, should I grab the one off the donor truck or do I need an aftermarket part?
Personally I would try to use the stock one from the truck first.

OP
OP
J

JCook5003

The stock bronco unit or the unit from the truck I am pulling the Transmission from? Also I know it's a 4x4 truck the unit is still in it

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
JCook5003 said:
The stock bronco unit or the unit from the truck I am pulling the Transmission from? Also I know it's a 4x4 truck the unit is still in it
There isn't a stock bronco unit. The Bronco used mechanical linkage for the clutch rather than hydraulic.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
What SaddleUp is saying is that you will have two master cylinders. One for the clutch and one for the brakes. Get the clutch master cylinder from the donor truck.

OP
OP
J

JCook5003

oh ok gotcha, I understand now, the more I think about it the more this swap seems possible.

hammer

Bronco Guru
So JCook did you get this done. Found this old post in a search because its the exact question I was looking to ask. I knew about the master cylinder, but I'm interested as to how you made out with np205. I've heard that its to wide to fit between the eb's framerails. I don't understand why anyone would pay that kind of money to mate their d20 up to the zf if this is easy. I'm kinda in the opposite position where I already have a 4wd zf, just wondering if the np205 is my way to go.

MpCrewcab

Loc.
Jefferson, WI
zf-205

I have a zf and a 205 in a bronco I am building I will see if we have any pics of it. The 205 just bolted on but had to trim a little for the shift rails but the 205 fits perfect but not any room to spare and I used the tcase mount from the 79 bronco just flipped it. Mike

hammer

Bronco Guru
So are you running tranny and t-case crossmembers? I've seen some pics on here of guys using the side mount of the np205.

daj

No one seemed to mention the ZF must be out of a small block 351 or a I-6.I have found loads of them for the 460s.
d

z-one311

Loc.
Payson, Utah
ZF swap!

I just sold one and have another i am selling. It will bolt right up to the 205 but you have to modify the rear of the zf jsut a little bit to make the shift linkage work like original. Or you can change you shift linkage on the 205 and thats it. It is the same spline count as the 205 transfer case input. And all of the zf trans will fit the 205. The 5.8/7.3/7.5, 302/351/460/7.3 deisel. But the only one that will work ing your bronco set up with the 302/351 is the one out of a 5.8/5.0 f250/f350! i am selling this one for 600 plus 150 shipping!

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here are a couple of pictures that one of our customers sent us of that combo with our stainless NP-205 twin-sticks....
Jon

Attachments

• P1040002.jpg
    P1040002.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 336
  • P1040007.jpg
    P1040007.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 320