• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who makes the best 302 to 347 stroker kit & where to get it?

U

Unregistered

In the next few months, I will be getting the engine and tranny rebuilt. I am thinking of getting the 302 stroked to 347 for some extra power. Who makes the best kit and where do I get for a good price? I want to keep the 302 because it fits and I don't want the hassle of finding a 351 or worring about cores.

Anyone help here?

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Coast high performance in California makes some nice stuff and they use mostly Probe industries parts. Pick up a Muscle Mustangs / Fast Ford magazine and you will find a LOT of people selling kits.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If you are going to all that Y not just build a good 351W and be done with it you can have more HP and more torque and it will be less $$$$ good luck with your choice.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 351 is a much better choice then a 347. It isn’t about the 4 cubic inches either. It’s about the bigger bearings, bigger main bolts, bigger head bolts, longer rods.

There are reasons ford went through all the development to make the 351 instead of just throwing in a different crank in the little 302. If the 347 was such a great engine, Ford would have saved millions by not developing the 351 and all the refinments that go with it.

there are places that a 347 are good. If you have a late model mustang and have a bunch of money tied up in external parts for the 302, if you are wanting to make a sick little sunbeam tiger, doing a 5.0 ranger, basicly a tight engine compartment that won’t fit a 351.

What’s better, an engine that is stressed to the edge of its life or an engine that is basicly stock? and they make the same power...

71sport408

Loc.
Mandan
My 408 is all coast/probe stuff. I have been very happy with the motor and their parts. Good stuff.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered

Okay, for the 351W fans I certainly see your point. It's more hassle for sure but probably worth it in the long run. So, my next questions would be, what's the best choice from here?

Get a crate motor (where to get it?) or find one in a local junk yard and have someone rebuilt it?

What should I watch out for if I have to buy a crate motor or search for one in junk yard?

Thanks again.

bronco977

Loc.
Bakersfield
347s have the piston pin up under the oil ring groove. It's not a problem if you're running a mustang race car that you tear down every season, but in a hard pulling daily driver it will use oil excessively. If you are intent on one, I'd go with a 331 from Central Coast Mustang. They even have package deals with GT40P heads and such. They are located here in Cali as well, and are really nice folks to work with.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
it would be easier to steer you toward a good shop if you posted your location. I would go with a rebuild before a crate. Crate motors are good if you buy the high dollar or factory ones but they usually come with a higher rpm cam in em. The people I know who bought the cheaper crate motors from like kragen or economy places had alot of problems getting one that runs right.

70 EB Chicago

I am also trying to decide what to do with my engine. I have been waiting for a number of months to make a decision, but can't commit to anything. I have a stock 302 and have been considering having a crate 302 remanufactured dropped in. Because I live in the city and can't do it myself, I like the 7 yr warranty I can get with the crate (and hopefully few hassles). Hopefully I can find a shop in Chicago that knows what the hell they are doing!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As far as I know, Coast High Performance is the only one who has done anything about the oil consumption issues. They run a short rod (5.315" instead of the normal 5.400") then the other 347 strokers. This allows them to gain enough room for a real oil ring.

Personally I don't like short rods, I am running a long rod (6.120") in my stock stroke 351. The 5.0 Stroker I will be building soon for a Ranger (difficult to package a 351 in there) will only be a 331. One of the reasons I really like the 331 is that I get almost 0.400 longer rod and ¼" of stroke over the original 302.