• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas smell!??!?!

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Hey folks. I have seen a thread on this before but am unable to find it again. I have a 69 with a 302. The thing runs great but has an annoying and overwhelming smell of gasoline. Doesnt matter if I drive it hard on the trail or drive 2 miles to the grocery store; when I shut it down and get out, my clothes stink like gasoline......anyone out ther got any advice??!?! Thanks!!!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
do you have that vapor canister behind the driver seat ..are the hoses to it connected ...or are you setting in a pool of gas fumes..

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
do you have that vapor canister behind the driver seat ..are the hoses to it connected ...or are you setting in a pool of gas fumes..

A '69 won't have one. I think they started using sealed caps and vapor recovery in '70.

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
70 is when they started using the vapor recovery system, and my 70 was built in 69 so it doesnt have one either, does it still smell like gas even when the tanks are half emptly, If my tanks are full gas expands and runs down the side of my finder from the fill cap. I would check for leaks at the switch to change from tank to tank and also check all the gas lines to make sure they are not soft and mushy.. I had a leak just off the main tank because of bad line.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The tank selector valve is a problem area. A new o-ring will usually fix it but I got tired of pulling the soaked flooring out after it leaked. I replaced it with one of the electric selector valve kits. I got mine from BC for about the same price as a new manual valve.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
It smells more like exhaust than it does raw gas. I also think that my bronco does not have the vapor system ya'll are talking about. Additionally, I only have 1 tank, so there is no switch. I checked the lines and all looks good. Would bad/faulty gaskets at the headers be an area to check?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If it is exhaust fumes, there could be several reasons. Is the car running rich for some reason like a stuck or leaky needle valve? Stuck choke? Also depending on where your exhaust exits, you could be drafting fumes into the car.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes leaky header gaskets can cause some of it as can any open holes in the firewall.
Usually a good tune up and proper carb jetting can fix the issue. Pull your plugs are they black if so its too rich. You need smaller jets. Timing can also have a effect on how the exhuast smells to little it smells to much it smells might want to play with the timing see if you can reduce the smell and probably make it run a little better to boot 10-12 degrees usually works out about right.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
I certainly believe there are fumes drafting into the cab....Soon as I fire it up and take off down the road, there is a slight hint of exhaust or gas-like smell. It isn't to the point where it makes me nausious or uneasy; however, once the vehicle is off and I step away from it----the stench on my clothes is quite obvious there is some sort of leak somewhere.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
yeah, the exhaust exits out the back end. However, it doesn't matter if the hard top is on or if I go with no top....the same amount of exhaust smell occurs with both. Is there anyway to minimize that smell?

nutter3

you could have a leak at the carburetor too. long time ago my dads 75 F250 was going through gas like crazy (worse than normal) along with a bad gas smell. The carb would only leak every time the throttle was moved, then it would stop leaking. so you couldnt ever track it down in the static position

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
nutter3---what was the fix?...did you replace the carb and problem solved?...I am desperate to get this smell resolved. My 3 yr old LOVES to ride in dads bronco but mom doesnt like it with the gas smell so prevalent.....

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Bronco's are extremely fussy on where the exaust exits from the vehicle.. I switched mine about 5 or 6 times to get rid of the smell. Guys have great sucess with out the rear corner on a 45 deg angle making sure it sticks out a few inches from the body. Broncos have the aerodynamics of a brick and very bad air flow underneath so you have to make sure you get it out into some air flow or it will get sucked back in... Mine runs out the side through the body in front of the rear wheel as seen in my gallery but thats a little extreme for some... Works really well and no more stinky!!

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
TBS---I saw your pix and am quite envious at your setup....Looks real good. However, my mufflers stick out from the rear bumper about 2 or 3 inches---obviously not enough. Gonna take it to the muffler shop and have them angle them out the sides a few inches....will keep posting the progress. thanks for the advice!!!

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Straight out the back gets it in the "prop wash" as it my be. TOO much turbulance and bask wash. it will pull back into the bronco. Top off it comes over the tailgate. Top on it will come in under the tailgate and up through the stake pockets. Get it out to the sides and things will get better!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
yeah, the exhaust exits out the back end. However, it doesn't matter if the hard top is on or if I go with no top....the same amount of exhaust smell occurs with both. Is there anyway to minimize that smell?
If the exhaust goes out the back it doesn't matter what top you have on or off. Modify the exhaust so it turn out the side behind the wheels and the problem will be gone.

jdcone

Loc.
riverside, ca
I had the same gas smells eminating from my EB before I found out the gas tank was rusted out. New tank = no gas smell.

nutter3

mjm,

i think it was the accelerator pump gasket. you can tell just by moving the throttle by hand while watching the carb for leaks.